Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help

lsarang2lsarang2 Alum Member
in General 19 karma

Hi, I am international and my official lsat score is 173. My friend said that the higher the lsat score is the better. In my recent last pt score is 176~178, so should I take again? I have a reservation for the November exam. Does 176 and 173 make a lot of difference? It's so stressful to take the lsat again. I spent more than three years of my time and effort until I was almost 153 to 173.Please give me some advice.Thank you :)

Comments

• conmax236conmax236 Core Member
    12 karma

I feel like it depends where you're going to law school. Hows your undergrad GPA looking? I feel like regardless you should be fine, and probably will get a scholarship.

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    590 karma

Like @conmax236 said, it depends on what your goals are; however, I don't think you should base this decision solely off your last PT score, but rather an average of recent PT scores.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited November 2022 2245 karma

Your situation is highly dependent. If you're dead set on attending Yale, for instance, then yes, a 173 versus a 176 is a huge difference. The 176 is above their current median while the 173 is a couple points below, so your odds of getting in would largely depend on which score you're applying with. Additionally, if you're trying to get a scholarship from one of the higher ranked T14 schools (not Harvard, Yale, or Stanford), the difference between a 173 and a 176 would also be large. The 173 would put you at the median or a point above the median at most of the higher ranked T14s, while a 176 would put you well above their medians.

If you're not firmly determined to commit to one of the above options, though, the difference between a 173 and a 176 is much smaller. If you want to go somewhere towards the lower end of the T14 or anywhere outside of the T14, your 173 will put you above every median. Additionally, the further down the rankings you go, your 173 will be above every schools 75th%, so a 176 probably wouldn't do much more (if anything) for you.

Basically, I think choosing to retake is totally dependent on your goals. Make no mistakes: A 173 gives you a legitimate shot to get into any school in the country, including Yale, and a legitimate shot to get (likely significant) scholarship money at almost every school. I think retaking would only be worth it if you're positive you'd only be happy by achieving certain lofty goals.

• lsarang2lsarang2 Alum Member
    19 karma

Thank you for everyone's advice. Based on everyone's opinions, I will make a choice I won't regret. See you at school soon, future attorney!