Suppose the condition "" was replaced with Tips?

Does anyone have any tips for these questions? I tend to have to work through each answer choice to see if it would have a similar effect to the removed condition but that is lengthy and doesn't always produce a must be true answer for me.

Comments

• ProfLaytonProfLayton Member
    110 karma

Those questions tend to be the last ones (if not then skip it) and are big time sinks - they essentially boil down to "Do you understand the main inference of the rule or not?"

To answer these questions, I will try to make a diagram that breaks the original rule. If you can make a diagram that is not possible under the original rules, then it is the WRONG answer.

If, however, you realize you cannot break the original rule under the new one, then it is the right answer.

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    590 karma

-Use prior game boards to eliminate ACs. If an AC is too restrictive or not restrictive enough then it's wrong.

-Look at your rules. Are the variables of that rule you're being asked to substitute related to any other rules? If so then keep an eye out for an AC that's hints at that relationship. E.g., say you're being asked to replace the rule: F → H. But you also have another rule that says H and M are always together. Then keep an eye out for an AC that's related to that second rule, say something like F → M.

Also like @ProfLayton rightly suggests, be ready to skip. These questions are 100% designed to be a time sink. Check out PT88.S1.17. How many people weren't able to get to game four because they couldn't resist trying to solve that question? Don't be that person. If you anticipate it's going to take some work then guess+flag and move on and come back if you have the time.

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    edited November 2022 810 karma

When you come across that type of question, for a second ignore the answer choices and just look at that rule. Ask yourself what the purpose of that rule is and what restrictions are being created because of that rule. Once you get that down, instead of immediately brute forcing, take a moment to analyze the answer choices. You'll find that a few aren't even affecting the correct variable or group.

I came across a good example for this (PT 69, Section 2, Game 3, Question 17) because it might be the only question similar to the one you're mentioning that is relatively straight forward. The question asks to replace a rule that restricts variable G from the 4th spot. There were only 4 open slots, and because of another rule G could not go into stop 1. So, the correct answer choice would be restricting the variable G down to the 2nd and 3rd spots. Looking at the answer choices I saw that there was only one answer choice that was affecting the variable G. And what do you know, it turned out to be correct.

Also, in general, taking a second to analyze the answer choices has helped me in alot of different situations. For example, I used to almost always brute force MBF questions in Logic Games. Then when I'd watch the explanation, I'd see J.Y just cross out 1 or 2 answer choices right off the bat because the rules or inferences from previous questions so now I try to be mindful of that. It also helps to do "if" questions first in logic games because they create inferences