Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointing Scores: A Discussion with a Sage who Delayed & Retested

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
edited December 2022 in General 27821 karma

With score release being today, I'm expanding the original scope of discussion for this. So we will discuss how to respond to disappointing scores as well as considering cycle delays. Hope to see some folks tomorrow.

Choosing to delay a cycle is a hard decision. It's one that makes many of us feel like we've failed. Often, though, we just underestimated the full extent of the undertaking. Law school is hard. It's really hard. And with the possible exception of the MCAT--and even then, for very different reasons--the LSAT is the hardest standardized test there is. So if you're facing a decision about what to do moving forward, you are not alone. I faced the same thing, made a hard call, and everything worked out fine. The decision that was right for me may not be the decision that's right for you. Each situation is a little different, and none of us will be balancing all the same factors the same. But if you're facing down the end of this cycle and aren't sure how to proceed, I hope you'll join me. Everything will be okay. You will figure it out. If my example can be of any help, I am glad to share my experience.

Thursday Dec. 1, 7pm CST

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

With score release being today, I thought I'd expand the scope of this discussion to include responding to low scores. I've definitely been there, and if I can overcome it so can you. I'll discuss what I did to improve after significantly underperforming a test when I thought I was ready, and I'll be taking lots of questions. See y'all tomorrow.

27821 karma

Happening today!

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

I just read your Law School Journal... loved it but ,ouch, that's really tough stuff! Looking forward! I have lots of questions :smile:

27821 karma

@blanklaw said:
    I just read your Law School Journal... loved it but ,ouch, that's really tough stuff! Looking forward! I have lots of questions :smile:

Yeah, I let that be pretty raw. I should go back and do an update on that now that I've graduated with honors to show that, however bad it can feel, it'll be alright in the end.

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

Nice! and with an honors- I'm impressed! was the main breakthrough figuring out the exams like you said?

27821 karma

@blanklaw said:
    Nice! and with an honors- I'm impressed! was the main breakthrough figuring out the exams like you said?

That and being able to take the classes I wanted. First year, you don't have much say-- though at Northwestern you get two electives second semester which is more than you get at most places. I think I did progressively better basically every semester after my first year. I never got anything but A's in any criminal law class, any class graded on research papers, or experiential learning classes. Final semester I had like a 4.1 gpa.

Also helps that the curve relaxes a bit in 2/3L doctrinals!

27821 karma

Starting in one hour. See y'all soon!

edited December 2022 27821 karma

Starting now

27821 karma

Thanks to everyone who turned out! See y'all next time!