Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling defeated...

Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
edited October 2019 in General 2426 karma
So, took my first diagnostic, and I will be completely honest..133.

I don't really know what to say actually at this point.

Just a little self-introduction:
Senior business major at Middle Tennessee State University graduating this December. 3.9 GPA. (4.0 all the way until got a B in Accounting this spring) 4 semesters in a roll on Dean's list. Full ride all the way.

But this LSAT is so different than any of the tests I've ever taken.

1 Logic Games. Had NO clue what to do. Completely guessed every single one of them.

2 Time. I seriously don't have enough time for either LR or RC. Only finished about 15 to 19 then had to guess the rest.

I know this is kinda an old subject for you guys who have experiences in this field but I seriously don't see how I could improve reading speed by THIS standard without not knowing what I am reading. And we all know if don't understand what I am reading, then forget about answering questions. Oh, also gotta answer them correctly.

I know it's my first diagnostic without any prep but I am still feeling extremely defeated and discouraged...I'll admit I'm not one of those beasts standard test taker. I'm not used to this. It completely shattered my expectation and self-esteem. I'm speechless...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Forget your gap it literally has nothing to do with your performance on the LSAT. Then forget your diagnostic because it has literally nothing to do with your performance on the LSAT. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and just get to work on the curriculum and the hard work and dedication will take care of itself. Mastering LG alone will likely help you break into the 150s. But don't worry about scores right now, just worry about learning the fundamentals. Speed will come with comprehension. Good luck.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Diagnostics are pretty meaningless for predicting your final score... They show you what you don't know... You have a lot of work to do but you can build yourself up to a respectable score in due time.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I can see how your diagnostic score can be discouraging but what does it really mean? Nothing. It just tells you what you don't know. Big deal! Hopefully you've come to 7 sage to purchase the curriculum. Just stick to the curriculum and you'll do well. After you're pretty comfortable with the fundamentals that's when the drilling and PT begins. I don't think any of us should be discouraged but, if so, imo this could be the time because we often tell ourselves we know this or that, but that first PT will probably tell you that you don't. This is when you must humble yourself and just get down to seriousness. I don't think many of us scored our ideal scores on our diagnostics. If so, why would we be here? Just calm down. Relax. Now get to studying!! You'll do well, just trust the process!
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Yup. Don't let that diagnostic get to you. You CAN still get into the 160's. I reached the 160's from a 13X diagnostic. The good thing going for you is that you have a 3.9x GPA and zero UG debt. Just work on the LSAT and you'll be good to go.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Look! @ddakjiking has done it! It can be done! Now work through the 7Sage curriculum and then let us know where you stand. Good luck.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 7468 karma
    Welcome to LSAT prep! I’ve been at this since January. My diagnostic was 141. My most recent PT was 161, and I'm BRing 170+. It is a learnable test. Is it easy? Absolutely not. I think you have to come to terms with yourself that this is probably going to take about a year of your life. But the improvements that I've attained already are very gratifying. I feel smarter. Studying for this test has actually made me smarter. It really comes down to this: Are you willing to put in the time and the effort? If so, then don’t get down, get up. You’re about to improve the way you think a lot.
  • Gia_HenryGia_Henry Alum Member
    94 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I've been at it since May 28, and I feel smarter too! I am having to completely change the way I think, and I have benefited from my studies in so many ways. Even if I don't get to the score I want, this time has not been wasted at all!

@beyondsudi In my 2 months of study, I've had a pity party a couple of times when feeling defeated. It really is a hindrance to studying. Put in the time and commitment, and I have no doubt you'll get there. 7Sage is an amazing program. My only regret is that I can't afford more of the videos and lessons. Good luck!
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Just because you've been reading your whole life doesn't mean that you have LSAT skills. Would you be shattered if you somehow entered the Tour de France and finished last, just because you've been riding a bike your whole life? The LSAT is a skills based test and you haven't worked on your skills yet; there's no reason to freak out about not knowing how to do logic games, there's no reason to worry about not finishing your diagnostic RC passages, and there's no reason to be concerned about your LR performance. You're just starting to prepare for your Tour de France right now; sure you may have a long way to go, but you have an awesome community here at 7sage by your side, and you have JY as you coach. Things are looking up.
  • gs556gs556 Member Inactive Sage
    568 karma
    "You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on LSAT-dora, ladies and gentlemen. Respect that fact every second of every day. If there is a Hell, you might wanna go there for some R & R after a tour on LSAT-dora. Out there beyond that fence every answer choice that bewilders, confuses, or deceives you wants to kill your score and eat your percentile rank for jujubes... As Sage, it is my job to keep your LSAT dreams alive. I will not succeed. Not with all of you. If you wish to survive, you need to cultivate a strong, mental aptitude. You got to obey the rules: LSAT rules."

568 karma
    I am not going to entertain your self-pity because I am certain that would be detrimental to you. This test is difficult. You will need a strong mental attitude and a sustained work ethic to do well. Based on your GPA, I infer that you likely posses those skills; I suggest you employ them to conquer this test. Good luck.
  • Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma
    Thank you guys so much for all the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I just didn't anticipate this result based on my normal academic performance in school. But it serves as a good wake-up call.

I agree with you guys and will work extra hard from this point on. I have just registered for 7 sage ultimate package and ordered LSAT trainer on Amazon. Any other materials you guys would recommend other than what I have? I heard some decent reviews on powerscore "Bibles". Any thoughts?
    568 karma
    You already have the tools necessary to start. Start with that and put in at least month of hard work before you buy other material. There is no magical book that will help you ace this test so just get to work.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    It's easy to get discouraged after your diagnostic, but as everyone has already said it really doesn't mean much. Now that you know the monster that you're dealing with here (The LSAT) you just need to focus on the fundamentals. Work through the 7sage core curriculum, JY is a godsend I'd be lost without his instruction.

Also would like to say that I think that you're focusing on the negatives of your situation a little too much. You have a 3.9 undergrad GPA, and with no debt might I add. You're in a prime position to get accepted into an elite law school if you can just earn a respectable LSAT score. With that GPA the sky is the limit for you.
  • SummerMichalSummerMichal Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    If it weren't hard, everyone would do it.

I took my first test on Saturday, and let's just say it was a humbling experience. So I'm telling you this to encourage myself as much as to encourage you ;) It's easy for smart people to get discouraged because we're used to just being good at things (especially tests) instead of having to get good at them. But, the LSAT is one of those things where you just have to put in your hours to learn it, no matter how smart you are to begin with. It's meant to be a talent stretch, even for very intelligent people.

Think about the last time you learned to do something that was hard, but you put in your practice and it became second nature. The LSAT is just like that. Put in your reps and you'll get better.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @beyondsudi said:
    I heard some decent reviews on powerscore "Bibles". Any thoughts?
    One thought: Skip.

You got this. Keep in mind ... the LSAT is a great leveler. A number of us here are graduates of the "major Ivies" (HYP). Guess what. It's hard for us, too. Really hard. Stupid hard. Brilliantly hard. Harder than undergrad. Much harder! And that's saying something.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 1294 karma
    Don't feel defeated. My diagnostic was a 133, and now I'm scoring in the low 160s. Take your time and really learn the fundamentals.
  • Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma
    You guys really make me feel a lot better with all of your insights and encouragement. I wasn't trying to throw myself a pity party but it feels good to know that I have such an awesome community there to motivate and push me forward. Thank you everyone, really. I'll just get to work now with the 7 sage's course and LSAT trainer (sounds like should skip the Bibles lol) and I will post here to keep everyone updated. Good luck to all of you and let's conquer this monster! :)
    edited July 2015 568 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:

"A number of us here are graduates of the "major Ivies" (HYP). Guess what. It's hard for us, too. Really hard. Stupid hard. Brilliantly hard. Harder than undergrad. Much harder!"

I don't know. Cornell was pretty darn tough. I guess all the grade inflation rumors I've heard about the "major ivies" is true. ;P
  • Gia_HenryGia_Henry Alum Member
    94 karma
    My small, southern, private college has been the hardest thing I've ever done... Though, my LSAT studies this summer may be a leap ahead. This is coming from a person who has parented a son who's about to go into the US Army, and co-parented 2 girls who are now in college.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @gs556 said:
    I guess all the grade inflation rumors I've heard about the "major ivies" is true. ;P
    Except for the one famous for deflating grades. Cornell is just emotionally hard. Just a sad place to be.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Notre Dame was hard but I got around that by not going to class... Maybe you Ivy Leaguers should've tried that one on for size... :P
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    "Except for the one famous for deflating grades. Cornell is just emotionally hard. Just a sad place to be."

Hahaha winner.