PTB.S1.Q17 - The difference between manners and morals

edited February 2023 in Logical Reasoning 22 karma

Stimulus says: Manners are necessarily social (i.e. manners require a social element). Morals are not necessarily social (i.e. morals do not require a social element). Rules of etiquette do not apply to situations with morals or manners alone.

Things I noted upon reading:
1. If manners apply, we better see a social element.
2. Morals may apply if there is a social element. Morals may not apply if there is a social element.
3. Morals may apply if there is NOT a social element. Morals may not apply if there is NOT a social element.
4. Rules of etiquette will not apply to a situation that is purely moral or purely manners.
5. Rules may or may not apply to a situation that is both moral and manners.

Most strongly supported?
A: You can be immoral without causing harm. (i.e. you can not be moral in a case that is not social). Yep, this fits with #3 above.
B: An immoral act is never a violation of etiquette. This could be false if the situation also involved manners, so we can´t say it is supported.
C: Morality applies only when one is alone. I think you´d only choose this if you were hella confused.
D.: It is more important... I stopped reading right there and knew this was wrong. There is no comparison being made in the stimulus.
E: A social situation will never have anything to do with morality. Clearly wrong based on #2 and #3 described above.

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."