PT35.S2.Q14 (P2) - The paintings of Romare Bearden

Melr1234-1Melr1234-1 Alum Member
edited February 2023 in Reading Comprehension 67 karma

I am quite confused as to why 14c is wrong. I was going back and forth between A and C and i am not able to figure out how C is wrong! Pls help

Explanation video: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-35-section-2-passage-2-questions/
Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question"

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2023 27822 karma

C would be correct if the question were asking about the author's attitude towards Bearden's art. But the question is more targeted than that. It's asking about the author's attitude towards Bearden's technique. Remember from the first line of the passage: His art is a "double triumph." One triumph is his technique. The second triumph is the power of his representation of his community. His art is certainly rooted in the African American experience, but I don't see anything to suggest that his technique is derived from it. In fact, the first line of the third paragraph suggests that his technique and his effective representation of his community's experience are separate:
    "But how did Bearden, so passionately dedicated to solving the more advanced problems of his painting technique, also succeed so well at portraying the realities of African-American life?"
    So there is (1) his technique, and then there is also (2) his portrayal of African American life. The author does a lot to differentiate these two areas. The "double triumph" in the first line. Then, the word "also" is pulling a lot of weight in this sentence and distinguishes the two aspects of his work. It's complicated, though, because his two triumphs are not completely unrelated. His technique lends to his ability to represent his community so vibrantly. But that doesn't mean his technique is necessarily "rooted in" the African American experience. Actually, the author seems to believe his technique is quite innovative. From what we know in the passage at least, the technique doesn't seem to have any roots at all. That's a big reason why it's so special. It's original.