Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is grad school before law school worth it?

kimste17kimste17 Alum Member

I've been looking at a 1-year master's program in business management, and would probably apply to law school to enter immediately after I graduate. I want to go into corporate law, so having some business knowledge and also getting to experience higher level coursework would be a plus. I'm still on the fence about it though, because I'm wondering if it's more worth it to get a job, or will having a master's degree makes you a more competitive applicant than having job experience?

Comments

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    503 karma

In all honestly, I don't think it matters! I was in the same boat as you when I was deciding what I wanted to do during my gap year. Based on everything I've read and learned from others, law school admissions do not weigh one over the other. I think they are more concerned with whether or not you are occupying your time wisely while you are waiting to apply, and less concerned with what or how you choose to do this. If you want to go get your master's because you are genuinely interested in gaining more knowledge in business and you think this will help you, then do it. If you'd rather take time to work instead, maybe even working at a corporate law firm, then do it. In terms of which would make you a more competitive applicant, I think either option would work in your favor.

• holmesvcholmesvc Live Member
    39 karma

Try approaching this question in a way that determines if you would truly enjoy the program versus whether it would make you a more competitive applicant or not. At the end of the day, law school is going to equip you to work successfully in a corporate firm and a corporate firm will equip you even further. I feel that sometimes I regret approaching things from a “will this will look good for law school” mindset because by the end, I feel like it wasn’t worth an investment of my energy. Logistically, it’s only a year long program but mentally, is it something worthwhile and that you won’t already learn in law school with various core classes/electives?
    Maybe try finding students or professors in the program and see what they think of the coursework/time commitment! I personally strayed from additional degrees because of the constant fear of burnout and how that might impact my law school experience. Regardless, you won’t miss out on anything meant for you!!!