PT17.S2.Q20 - until about 400 million years ago

goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 531 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-17-section-2-question-20/
B is the answer, and the only reason I did not choose it is because it required me to make an assumption that 1. Plankton are not fish (which would require some background knowledge of what plankton are), and 2 particles from the from the mud did not contain fish. Can someone explain this question to me from a different perspective please. Answer A is easy to come by if I knew I was allowed to make such assumptions.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Which PS is this in? Can't seem to find it...
  • goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    this question is from PT 17 S2 Q20
    7965 karma
    ps = problem set :) PT17 isn't in the 10 actuals books
    531 karma
    Ohhh sorry I have pt 17 a hard copy, but let me check.
    531 karma
    MBT problem set 5
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I think it's common knowledge that plankton are not fish (think: SpongeBob), so there is no assumption you have to make here. Also, it would be a huge stretch to believe that the "food particles from bottom mud" contained fish. In any case, B says that jawless fish did not PREY upon other fish. The jawless fish had only 2 means of eating, neither of which were preying on other fish; furthermore, the stim tells us that the development of a jaw changed their lives dramatically because jaws *allowed* them to actively pursue prey. It is the jaws that allowed him to prey upon other fish, so the jawless fish could not have preyed upon other fish.
    531 karma
    Yea, I might have been too analytical with this question, the answer just seemed too easy.
    7965 karma
    @c.janson35 said:
    think: SpongeBob
    I believe this is an instance of employing outside knowledge that LSAT clearly wants us to indulge.