7Sage + LSAT Trainer?

notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
in General 1049 karma
Hi All,

I apologize if this question has been already been asked before. For those of you who have already written the LSAT or are deep into PTing, I was wondering if you studied using any material other than just 7Sage (other than the LSAT Trainer)?

Basically, did you find that the curriculum of 7Sage was enough on its own (with appropriate drilling and PTing, of course)?

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 3658 karma
    Short answer, 7sage is enough on its own. Some people use other sources to supplement their studying ( e.g., LSAT Trainer, Cambridge packets, Manhattan). But really? You should only look to these other sources only if you're having a real issue with a certain area that you think 7sage doesn't address.

To speak to a larger point, I've noticed some of my fellow 7sagers (not saying you @shiv.tomer1) tend to focus more on the quantitative versus the qualitative. To a certain extent, I think it's good to a have a wealth of resources at your disposal. But it can also be detrimental. This test is already confusing enough as is. Imagine going through two or three or even more different prep courses/books. Each one has their own stratagem and symbology on how to prepare for this test. That's like trying to learn an American, English, and Aussie accent simultaneously. Can it work? If you can compartmentalize what one specific prep course's stratagem is employing, sure why not. But most of us have a hard time dealing with just one method. Again, if you find 7sage is deficient in a certain area...by all means check out other LSAT sources. But if you're just starting out, focus on one prep course.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    For me personally, I'm sure that I gained a deep, holistic perspective on the LSAT from the Trainer. I find that to be indispensable. If I could do it all over again, I would do it the same way (start with the Trainer, learn it deeply, and then supplement it with 7sage). I like to say ... Trainer gave me the macro, and 7sage has helped firm up the micro. And 7sage has a truly insane number of specific question/passage/game material that you just won't find anywhere else. That's especially important for the PT phase, in my case.

Another thing to note. I have never learned especially well from lectures or videos. I have always been a book learner. I know that many others have the opposite experience.

Anything beyond these materials might give you a helpful trick or two, but I think the answer is to double-cover your fundamentals and get in a lot of practice. Save your time and money ... go deep.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Personally, I used Kaplan (BIG MISTAKE), until I found 7Sage. I supplemented with the Trainer for RC and Flaw, but other than that, 7Sage was basically enough.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    Thanks guys for your replies. They were very helpful.
  • cliffinesscliffiness Alum Member
    86 karma
    Hey guys,

I have the trainer and I"m just wondering if you guys recommend finishing the 7sage curriculum before opening the book? Or should I read it in conjunction with the course?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @cliffiness said:
    recommend finishing the 7sage curriculum before opening the book?
    I'd say finish 7sage course then grab a Trainer schedule from Mike's website. If you're going to combine, just do the PT's once you're done with Trainer. And maybe only do the early test drills so you can save 36+ for PT's. Just a thought.
  • cliffinesscliffiness Alum Member
    86 karma
    thank you @nicole.hopkins for your insight :)