Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't Break 140!

dukagjinidukagjini Alum Member
edited April 2023 in General 18 karma

I took the LSAT last year and scored a 140. This is a poor score because I didn't get to do as much studying because I was working and in school full time. I plan on taking the LSAT in June and I have been studying. I'm trying to break the 150's.

Anyone got any tips and tricks? Was anyone else scoring this poorly? (My GPA was a 3.7 and I have plenty of law firm experience it's just I'm struggling with this exam).

Comments

• decesares1decesares1 Member
    85 karma

My advice would be to make your studying count. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate already with school and with work. Studying for six hours a day isn't going to be possible, and, frankly, I don't believe that studying for six hours a day is all that beneficial for most people.

Find an hour to study each day or on most days, and make that studying count. In your mind, set an objective: "For this hour, I will drill logical reasoning questions" or "For this hour, I will practice in/out games." And don't feel bad about not studying. Be flexible. If you had a long, particularly stressful day, you may not be in the right mindset to study in any meaninful, worthwhile way. If it's not going to be meaningful, why bother? Rest. Don't let this become a habit, or an easy out for you. Be sincere and honest with yourself. "I can't focus right now and I'm not likely to get much out of studying."

On the weekends, take a practice test or two. And take the blind review seriously. I am 100% convinced that blind review is beneficial and worthwhile. It is, without question, where I personally made the most progress. (If you can answer the question correctly when you are given all of the time in the world to really look at and examine the question, then you understand the question; time becomes the only factor, and a person can get better at answering questions more quickly with repeated practice.) It's time-consuming and you will want to see your score without having to go through the blind review, but resist the temptation. Take the blind review seriously.

You can absolutely break 140. You got this.

• KelllyyyKelllyyy Live Member
    43 karma

You can absolutely do it. Drill into Q types and see why you got it wrong (take notes from every video you watch, even if its a sentence). Revisit foundational steps and just practice and practice. Because its just a month away, my advice would be to really grasp LG and then LR. Do timed sections and then blind review the next day! and juggle sections like that. (watch videos for questions you got wrong and right!)
    also! try to remember your thought process during each q and see where you went wrong and what you need to change.
    also! before you go to sleep lol, mentally review/revisit what you learned that day!!!!

• sucralosedaddysucralosedaddy Alum Member
    310 karma

A score of 140 shows a fundamental lack of understanding in logic and poor reading comprehension skills, there's no tips and tricks to improve other than going through the curriculum and learning the concepts and diligent practice. Make the time for yourself to study, there's no shortcuts.