Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grad School Vs. Undergrad

I did poorly in undergrad (but at a good school- Lehigh) largely because I got sick and was dealing with my illness for several years. I scraped through with a 2.1 average (though about a 1/3 of my credits were transfer credits because I had to withdrawal several times and attended other schools). I went on and decided to go to get my MBA which I did from a pretty good school (Fordham) and graduated near the top of my class with a 3.72 average. Am I screwed because of my undergrad despite having done much better and at a much higher level of academic rigor? I've heard that they largely weight undergrad because its part of ranking criteria ect.

Comments

• cwagne24cwagne24 Alum Member
    30 karma

I’m not sure About the grade stuff specifically, but can you mention ur struggle with your health in your application? That might help explain the non-representative stats to whoever is reviewing ur app

• endyah michelleendyah michelle Alum Member
    edited April 2023 9 karma

I would recommend writing an addendum to compliment your application. You got this!

• georgianablythe16georgianablythe16 Alum Member
    143 karma

Is the 2.1 your LSAC GPA? If you haven't already sent all your transcripts from every institution you took a college class from to LSAC that would be your first step. Then you'll know exactly what GPA will be sent to schools with your applications. Your graduate GPA does not factor into your UGPA, but I've heard that school's do see it as a "soft" on your application. Ultimately, as you said in your post, UGPA and LSAT are the two "hard" numbers on your app and carry the most weight. I would write an addendum outlining the issues you faced in undergrad that contributed to your lower GPA, and highlighting your success in graduate school because of X, Y, Z, etc. Maybe have a few people or a consultant review it. Best of luck!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @dsfoster2017. Former admissions officer here. Your graduate GPA, while not be part of the LSAC calculation of your GPA for ranking and reporting purposes, will offer the admissions committee a sense of your most recent academic performance. You should definitely include a GPA addendum in your law school application, explaining what happened during your undergraduate years and why your undergraduate GPA is not an accurate reflection of your future academic potential at law school. Moving forward, there are a few things you can do to counterbalance your GPA: (1) shape your law school narrative so it focuses on the strengths you believe you present as a candidate, (2) offer your best possible performance on the LSAT, (3) apply broadly and early. Good luck!