Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Recommendation

nicksto7nicksto7 Alum Member

When do I need to ask for letters of recommendation? Should I get them in months before I apply?
I was thinking of having one letter come from an undergrad professor and one come from the attorney I worked for since I worked for her as her assistant.

Or should all my letters be from professors?

Thanks!!

Comments

• TomHagenTomHagen Alum Member
    edited May 2023 78 karma

Unless you’re many years out from when you graduated undergrad (non trad), I think law schools typically prefer academic letters. If a school allows you to submit more than the required amount then you could submit an additional one from an attorney or other supervisor if you feel your application would benefit from it.

Typically for professors it's courteous to ask for letters about 3 months in advance of when you need them, so for the law school application cycle I asked in June. I think May (this month) is probably a good time to ask as well because in my experience professors can be fairly slow to respond. It also gives you plenty of time to ask someone else if you need to and still apply early.

• nicksto7nicksto7 Alum Member
    23 karma

Thank you so much!!