PTA.S1.Q20 - Why is the answer to this question correct?

Avatario43Avatario43 Core Member
edited June 2023 in Logical Reasoning 198 karma

can someone please explain to me why the correct answer is "A" and not D? I was between those two but question stumped me in general

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question

Comments

• maco4538maco4538 Alum Member
    323 karma

To correctly answer any resolve/reconcile question correctly we need an answer that resolve every element of the mystery.

If we take the stimulus and turn it into a question, we can take stock of every element:

Why, if the proportion of left-handed people has not increased overall, is there a correlation between age and left-handedness?

In other words, what is it about aging that explains this correlation?

"A" tells us that men are more likely to be left-handed than women and men also have a shorter life expectancy. This would explain why we see less left-handedness in higher age groups, because the higher the age the less there are men (bc they died) and the less men there are, the less left-handed people in the population.

"D" falls short of answering this question. Birthrate would not explain why we see less left-handedness as aging progresses. more births do not cause more left-handed people to exist, but more deaths cause less left-handed people to exist.