Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Academic Plagiarism appearing on law school apps

Arman115Arman115 Live Member
in General 86 karma

During my senior year in undergrad, I was reported for academic dishonesty (plagiarism). I previously had a class with the professor that reported me and I got an A in his class, which is why I was surprised that he thought I plagiarized. The professor said it was a minor case of plagiarism because I did not paraphrase adequately in certain parts of my final essay. I met with the dean and I ultimately admitted to plagiarism and I got a deferred suspension (which is just fancy language for a warning). The dean said that I had to attend an avoiding plagiarism workshop before graduation so that's what I did. I asked the dean if something like this would appear on my transcript and she said that UCLA (the uni I attended) does not make a notation on the transcript but it holds a separate records that are confidential. She said the records would not be released to law schools without their request and my authorization. I ultimately got an A- in that class.

So what should I do? Does attending a workshop like this count as disciplinary action? Is a warning all that bad? And will law schools see that something like this happened through the LSAC CAS report?