Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gap Year?

So I’m about to go into my last year in undergraduate and taking my LSAT in September. I have been planning to go straight into law school (fall 2024) for multiple reasons. 1) If I take a gap year, I feel like I would lose motivation to go back to school. 2) I have the funds necessary to go to law school. 3) I have an idea of what type of law i’m interested in.

Now my question is, even with all of these reasons, is it still advised to take a gap year? I’ve heard a lot about needing it to build up a resume and have more experience in law. I’m just not sure whether this outweighs my reasons. What do you guys think?

Comments

• rdyoung12rdyoung12 Alum Member
    306 karma

Just my opinion - take it with a grain of salt - I think it's a terrible idea. I was advised to work as legal staff before I commit to law school. Personally I wish I never listened. I hate to be grim but what if you get cut off from your funding during your gap year? like I was. What's the game theory for the gap year? Have a year to lounge around? Any strategy is viable in the end.

If you do take a gap year then you should study for the LSAT the whole time to increase your score.

Just follow your heart in what you really want to do and don't take advise from anyone is my advise.

• Future boss girlFuture boss girl Alum Member
    16 karma

Hello. I am in the same boat as you. I think you should definitely do what's right for you, but taking a gap year isn't bad in any way. I plan to work, maybe intern, and just relax. Law school will be brutal, and my advice is to relax and make some money. Best of luck.

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    504 karma

Honestly, I think everyone's situation is different and if you have the funds to get through law school and feel like your application (LSAT, GPA, and essays) are strong enough to get you in, with scholarships, then go for it! It doesn't hurt to apply and see where you stand if you feel prepared.

I am currently in my gap year right now, but my situation was a little different. I graduated college a year early, didn't have the money to even afford getting through my first year, and I personally wanted to take time off to focus on my LSAT and application materials without being rushed or feeling pressured to meet certain deadlines. It took me way longer to get my LSAT to where I wanted it to be, so this may be something to consider if your LSAT isn't where you are hoping come September. I've been working at a law firm during my gap year, and taking time off has been the best decision I've made by far, but I don't think it's necessary, especially in your case. I've enjoyed getting advice from the attorney's I've worked with and gaining some experience, but admission aren't really going to care either way if you have any legal experience. As long as your resume is strong and shows that you have actively been involved on campus or in the workforce, I think you'll be fine. They just don't want to see that you've done nothing during your undergrad years.

My reasons for taking time off are a little different than yours, but at the end of the day, do what you feel is best for you! Legal experience isn't necessary. If you have it, great, if not, great. Just my opinion. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited July 2023 802 karma

I was also in the same boat as you, and I ended up taking a gap year. I would suggest taking a gap year for a few reasons.
    1. The average age for 1L law students is around 24-25... I have multiple friends that went to T14s right out of undergrad that feel like they are too young/experience imposter syndrome. Of course this differs from person to person but just noting my experience.
    2. Taking a gap year can help you get into better schools with more $$$. Studying for the LSAT has become infinitely easier now that I am not also taking senior level courses at the same time at college. This can be especially true if you don't have the LSAT score you want and have a target school in mind.

Overall, I would say to not rush the process. Everyone goes at their own pace, if you're ready and have the numbers for the schools you want to apply for this cycle, go for it! If not, taking a gap year can be super beneficial.

• 22 karma

Honestly, I've decided to take 2 gap years and it was the best decision I have made. 1.I was able to work on my mental health and take a break from a school. 2. I was able to get internships and work full-time in a law firm to gain experience. (this isn't necessary, but if you do decide to take a gap year, make sure you are doing something, volunteering or working bc law schools do not like to see a gap on your resume.) 3. I was able to increase my LSAT score by 20+ points. You don't lose anything, and if you are sure about why you want to do law and go to law school, the motivation of going to school will not go away!! I am motivated more than ever, and I have gained valuable experience about work/life balance and mental health. :)

• jameelyusuf1994jameelyusuf1994 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

How good of a student are you? I don't understand why you would lose motivation to go back to school after a year. A year is not a very long period of time in the grand scheme of your life. Nonetheless, if you have the funds to go now and already know what type of law you want to do it may be best to just apply straight to law school. The reason I ask how good of a student you are is because if you have a 3.9 and can score a 165+, you're probably going to get into a very good school without any work experience. If you don't get the score you want, get some legal experience and spend time studying for the LSAT. One friend of mine had a very high GPA but she did not get the score she wanted during senior year of college. She got 2 years of legal experience and eventually scored a 175. She goes to YLS now.