Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Drilling tips vs LR

So I've made significant improvements to my LR (which is a win in itself). My basic method for doing this was 1.Do 10 random questions. If any wrong, drill that type of question at least 30 times until I mastered it. For example, if I got 1 flaw question wrong from that origInal set of 10, I did 30 more flaw questions until I got them all down. While this took a ton of time, it got me from -6-8 to-1-3 pretty consistently.

My question is, how in the world do I drill RC? I can't seem to find a good way to improve. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it from doing a bunch of untimed RC's? Only drilling certain questions? I can't seem to figure it out.

If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Comments

• 16 karma

Hi! I don't know how exactly qualified I am to give this advice, but I think one thing that has really worked for me to improve is focusing on quality rather than quantity. To preface, know this is standard advice that 7Sage gives and I am not reinventing the wheel by any means! After I complete a section timed, I really really really blind review it. I speak the passage out loud, rephrasing it to myself, I speak each question stem out loud and really pre-phrase and understand it. The really important part is all of the answer choices. If you can really accurately explain why each one is incorrect and give REALLY GOOD reasons to eliminate and be 10000000% sure about your answers, you will be so much better at spotting traps and mistakes in the future (then if you get the question wrong its holy shit I need to revalue myself versus "oh I just didn't have enough time"). Then I always watch the explanation and make sure that my reasons for eliminating an AC were similar to J.Y. Obviously, each passage varies so if you know the process to get the correct answer choice in and out, it's pretty intuitive to apply. Doing all of this makes me want to cry and its the mental equivalent of running a marathon, but I really feel like what has worked for me is taking my sweet time and really understanding how the LSAT writers create the wrong answer choices.
    Other quick tips
    1. I keep a wrong answer journal, this really has helped me see which type of questions I am getting wrong and I write down what I did wrong and how I can improve in the future.
    2. when in doubt. READ IT OUT LOUD. even moving my lips, I swear, makes everything click. I misread often (hence my dyslexia) so any chance I get to read out loud and HEAR it helps. Mumur under your breath, move your hands as if you are talking ect.

All in all, what has worked personally for me is not really "drilling" its a deep deep deep understanding of one passage and all of the answer choices associated with that passage. quality and tracking mistakes is gold.