PTF97.S3.Q16 - Zebra mussels, a nuisance when they clog

eju616eju616 Core Member
edited August 2023 in Logical Reasoning 4 karma

Can anyone explain why E is the correct answer?

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."

Comments

• Dylan.ChampagneDylan.Champagne Alum Member
    11 karma

The way I got to E was just eliminating the others ones... none of which can really be supported by the stimulus.

While I think E is a stretch (more modern LR questions, imo, are not like this), it makes sense logically. If it does not transform the waste, where could it go? No where else. Hence, the mussels would have to be regarded as hazardous waste.

I think this question is also odd because MSS tend to be "weaker" (if you read the Loophole, it talks about powerful-provable with question types, 7sage kinda touches on this as well if I recall), but the word "any" is used. If that was the hang up for you with this question, I would focus on "if they do not transform it", which makes it much weaker.

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    edited August 2023 562 karma

I see that the zebra mussels question has quite the fan club. That one almost broke my brain, but I submitted it for Josh Aldy's class Error Diagnosis class last saturday, (8/12, 2:15pm-3:15pm), I don't know if you were there in that class, but in case you weren't, maybe the archive might help.
    Katharine RAE

• amine.kabaniamine.kabani Live Member
    4 karma

It's the hardest question I ever saw personally. I think all the answer choices are a huge stretch, but E is just factually hard to deny : the hazardous wastes are present. So if the mussel absorbs them, and does not transform them, they remain hazardous and are present inside the mussel. Therefore, the organism containing them must be hazardous.