When does the rule trigger/fail?

mayajyazmayajyaz Core Member

Hey! I need help (like really badly) on the whole grouping games concept of when a rule triggers/fails. I know in the lessons it says: rule only triggers when the sufficient is satisfied or the necessary is negated. On the other hand, rule fails when the sufficient fails or the necessary is satisfied. I am in desperate need of more information/explanation/a deeper dive on this. If any one knows what lessons in specific I should visit. PLEASE let me know. Anything would help!!!!!!

Comments

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Live Member
    654 karma

Think of this as an example. If it's an apple then it's a fruit. We can have 4 situations.

1) when the sufficient condition is triggered (i.e. you have an apple), what else do you know? You know you also have a fruit. This must be true because the rule is triggered

2) when the sufficient condition fails (i.e. you don't have an apple)
    - what do you know? nothing. You could have a fruit or you don't have a fruit. The rule goes away

3) when the necessary condition is satisfied (i.e. you have a fruit)
    - what else do you know? nothing. you can have an apple or you don't have an apple. the rule also goes away

4) when the necessary condition fails (i.e. you don't have a fruit)
    - what else do you know? you must not have an apple. If you don't have a fruit, it must be true that you don't have an apple.

If you need more help on this, I think you can look into lessons in the CC under Conditional and Set Logic Theory. I hope this helps!