Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT vs. Personal Statement Prep etc.

lonelycarbonlonelycarbon Core Member
in General 65 karma

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask for some feedback or how people have normally done this in the past. My exam is November 2023 and I really really want to apply this cycle. The score is released November 29th and I want to get my application in ASAP so how should I be prepping my personal statements, letters of rec, etc. and like for which school? Should I just have a general idea of what I'm going to get and target schools in that range?

I'd love to prep in advance and not scramble in early December, but it's hard especially when I don't even know which school I'm applying to...

Any insight would be great :D

Thanks!

Comments

• nush2020nush2020 Core Member
    9 karma

I'd say make a list of schools based on the range of score you think you'll get. So for example if you think you'll score between 150-160 then make a list of schools that have median scores within this range, if you think you'll score between 165-175 make a list of schools that accept students that score within this range. Then, start researching schools that interest you based on what you want out of the law school experience.

As for letter of recs, I'd ask now since you want to turn in your application by December! This will give them enough time. Most schools want 2 academic but if you have been working for some time, then they'll accept one from your workplace. But it's nice to have a 3rd one that might speak to your leadership abilities if you're submitting two academic ones.

For personal statement, make mini deadlines for yourself until December. For example, try to have a first draft ready by mid oct and then send it out to friends/fam to review it then have a second deadline by oct end and then send it out for review again.

hope this helps!

• shergrand31shergrand31 Live Member
    12 karma

Research school's stats by looking at their ABA Standard 509 report. This will have all the info on their medians for LSAT/GPA and other info about the schools. You can compile a list, then review each school's application requirements. Most applications are already open so once you add a school to your LSAC school list you should be able to see their requirements) LORs, PS, Optional Essays etc..) Also add this info to your list of schools.
    I am currently at the same stage as you planning to test in November and submit apps before December. The writing materials get hectic especially as you begin to look into each school's specific requirements. I would say start with an outline for every writing component, then go through that outline and elaborate then bring your first draft together. Good luck!

• lonelycarbonlonelycarbon Core Member
    65 karma

Love y'all - thank you!

• hopefullyalawyersoonhopefullyalawyersoon Core Member
    56 karma

Hey- Im also in the same stage as you and timeline. I work full-time too so it's challenging some days. I give myself mini deadlines like the person above said. I hope to have a first draft by the first week or so of October for my personal statement. I already contacted the people writing my letters of rec but definitely ask now to get it aside. Regardless, I hope that it works out for us score-wise this November. This added stress will be such a weight when it is gone. Keep working hard...I just got home from work and now im studying. We can do this !