Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking an LSAT prep test when tired

Johnny TsunamiJohnny Tsunami Alum Member
in General 186 karma

Hi everyone, apologies if this has been posted before but I would love to hear all of your opinions about taking an LSAT prep test when tired. I have just over a month until I take the real thing and I feel like I haven't taken anywhere enough PTs so would you recommend just powering through or doing everything I can to get enough rest and opt to take the exam in the late afternoon/evening to compensate?

I'm also not scoring anywhere near as high as I'd like (currently around 160) and much of this I feel is due to psychological factors such as timing anxiety, and frustration. My thoughts are that I can work through this in time but again, would love some advice.

Comments

• taranasabletaranasable Alum Member
    9 karma

I usually take a simulated-modern PT once every couple days after work – I'm pretty tired, but I think learning how to power through (and learning techniques that work for you even when you're fatigued) is really helpful! A lot of improvement on all ends (psychological and strategic) just comes down to practice.

• _autumn__autumn_ Alum Member
    25 karma

ditto what @taranasable said. I was trying to take the full 4 section tests after work and it was too much. I switched to taking the simulated-modern (3 sections) twice a week after work (I work 40-50 hours a week) and then take the other 3 weekdays "off" I will do a light review of the PTs and maybe some easier drills but overall pretty chill, and then Saturday and Sunday I am taking 1 full 4 section PT and BR-ing each day. I've only started this method one month out from my second LSAT, and I'm seeing good improvements on how I feel, not focusing too much on what the scores are. I figure if I can get the test to be less anxiety inducing even when I'm exhausted from work, the day of the test, even if life happens and I'm stressed af - I know that I've trained to get through it. You've got this, this time of studying in your life is just going to end up being a really hard but tiny blip. Push through, rest as hard as you are studying, and you'll get through. <3

• Johnny TsunamiJohnny Tsunami Alum Member
    186 karma

Thank you both so much for your comments, definitely appreciate the advice and encouragement! Its a frustrating exam to be sure and I always feel foggy and unfocused with the first few questions due to lack of sleep but somehow I get them right and the fatigue hits me later on (hence the reason Im getting between 3 and 5 wrong on the first LR section and -8 or -9 on the second). What I might start doing is going for a brief walk or even jog before I take a prep test just to wake my brain up and keep on practicing like you've both recommended to build up that mental stamina.

The good news is that I am feeling way more chilled out with regards to my actual score and just focusing on overcoming the psychological aspect of the LSAT. My stamina definitely has improved compared to the first few PTs, so making improvements already!