Considering law school again (Career switch/almost 40/target UVA)

alp7qalp7q Core Member

8 years ago I shifted from applying to law school (frustrated by stagnant LSAT performance) to teaching. I am a high school government teacher (AP and grade level) with masters in teaching. My life is in Charlottesville (teach here, attended grad and undergrad here), so UVA is my top choice by a mile. My GPA is high (3.89 undergrad, 4.0 grad), and LSAT 8 years ago = 157. I'm considering preparing for the Aug 2024 LSAT and taking a shot if I'm able to bring my score up ~10 points.

I will be 39 years old when applying... and wondering if age will decrease my chances at admission or if I'm too old to shift to a traditional 3 year program at top tier school.

I've thought a lot about it that last year and now I'm looking for any advice, words of wisdom, or insight that any of you have.

Comments

• daciaochoadaciaochoa Live Member
    63 karma

You are not TOO OLD to apply to law school. Actually, it sounds like you have an impressive resume that will actually make you stand out among many other J.D candidates. I'd say go for it!! You have an impressive work ethic and you have a unique work experience that most younger students do not have. This could be good because it could inspire you to move into a different industry, in this case, the legal industry. Considering that you are hoping to take the Aug. 2024 LSAT, you are in for a BIG change compared to when you last applied--NO LOGIC GAMES--this could be good or bad, depending on how you feel about them. Regardless, the process will be anything but easy but if you're determined and committed to studying for the LSAT, I am sure your score will be better than your last score.

I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

• MarynC10MarynC10 Alum Member
    10 karma

also looking at uva and taking the August 24 test! also, a nontraditional applicant! We can do it!

• mm_aa205mm_aa205 Core Member
    29 karma

I definitely think you should apply! i don't think there's a such thing as an applicant that's too old, and in fact I believe your years of experience outside of the legal field may help you stand out. You have unique insights that might boost your application, so it can't hurt to try

• 71 karma

I'm going to jump on here and agree with everyone else! You are not too old - the time will pass anyways, so you might as well be using it to do things your interested in. My cousin was a mature applicant too and didn't regret it! She was one of the reasons that I considered giving the LSAT a try. I had a teacher in high school that was mid to late thirties when he left to start med school!

It's never too late - good luck with everything!

• alp7qalp7q Core Member
    53 karma

Thank you all for such supportive responses! I'm going to take a shot! Excited to be on this journey with you all :)

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    562 karma

I for one, am rooting for you, and there is no such thing as 'too late'.

• daphjackson2013daphjackson2013 Live Member
    3 karma

I’m an early childhood teacher and I’m rooting for you!!!! You got this!

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    869 karma

You are definitely not too old. I was 56 when I started law school. Just graduated from NYU this May and enjoyed it very much. You are also not too old to switch careers. As for age discrimination, I do get the feeling that some schools do age discriminate. I was accepted at Columbia and NYU so they didn’t discriminate against me despite my age. I can’t prove it but I felt some other schools did perhaps age discriminate but was glad I went to NYU as I found it to be a great school with a wonderful culture. As far as improving on the LSAT, I would recommend working with tutors. I wasted over one year studying on my own before finding a great tutor here on 7 sage. I would also recommend working with several tutors as they each can give you a different perspective but do it serially not in parallel. Max out on tips from one then advance to another. Good luck.

• jlotabbmohammedjlotabbmohammed Live Member
    edited October 2023 12 karma

That is so amazing!! I'm excited for your journey! I'm also seeking to apply for law school as a nontraditional student and find the 7sage community to be encouraging and helpful.

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    303 karma

there has never been an age restriction on law school admissions. where did you read that?