Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hold at Miami Law?

Please, no discouraging comments. Honesty and insight though, much appreciated.
Great LOR's, first generation college and law student, 159 LSAT 71% score according to this cycle thus far, 3.66 GPA double major from University of Washington, trilingual, much involvement in leadership / intern opportunities during undergrad, just got placed on hold.
I understand what on hold means - that it is a status not a decision - and that there is ambiguity and patience involved no matter what.
But this really crushed my soul. Standardized tests aren't my greatest strength (not excuse, just context), but I really worked so hard and feel crushed. trying not to lose hope. I'm not one to give up but this was really the worst feeling.
Will take a tour and send a letter of continued interest, but when?
Is it worth taking the LSAT my last time in January to see if I can get above 159? I only have ten days to decide.
I respect and understand the competitive process but wow.
Any insight on UM law, placed on hold but then admitted stats, mental advice / application advise / LSAT guidance,, etc. I moved from the PNW to here for this school a few months ago, it's my dream. I don't want to relinquish that.

Comments

• leorars99leorars99 Live Member
    19 karma

First off, I'm so sorry you're going through this experience. It is so incredibly draining and frustrating to go through all the studying and gathering application materials and then not receive the decision you were hoping for.
    I am by no means an expert on this topic, and we all know there is obviously the benefit of better chances of admission and scholarship money earlier in the cycle. What I can tell you is that based on several articles and videos I've read from prep companies and tutors, and something that has been noted by admissions' representatives in some application info webinars I've watched, is that this year in particular, because of the chaos with the August and September tests, more people than usual are signed up for the January test and so far, it appears that more people than usual are going to be sending in applications later, all together pushing this to be a slightly later cycle. This is something schools are aware of and are taking into consideration.
    Will applicants who get their applications in earlier still benefit from doing so? Of course. But at the same time, it sounds like it can't hurt you to take the January test. You are already placed on hold at UM, so if you receive a higher score in January it seems like this could be a potential be push that could sway your decision for the better. There are also plenty of solid schools that will take a 159 or scores in that range, so either way you certainly should not feel like this is the end of the road for you. If retaking the test and then planning to apply for the next cycle is an option for you, of course that could be something to consider as well, as by then you would probably be able to achieve a higher score and then apply earlier next cycle. Again, that is up to you. You should feel incredibly proud of yourself for already making it this far and certainly should not feel this is the end of your dream.

• whatlikeitshardwhatlikeitshard Alum Member
    220 karma

I'm so sorry about this. I'll be very nervous after submitting my apps and waiting to hear back from schools so I feel for you! I have also heard from multiple LSAT prep/law school admissions companies that this is a very slow cycle because of the LSAT taking issues and also the Supreme Court decision on affirmative action. If you think you can score higher in the Jan LSAT, absolutely take it! And definitely send a letter of continued interest, although I'm also not sure when exactly. That's great you will also take a tour! Meeting with people from admissions really helps because it shows them that you are very interested in their school and puts a face to your application. As someone who has been working toward going to law school for years now, was rejected from all schools one cycle, and will now finally be reapplying, hang in there!! It's taken me some time but I've finally realized that for me, the most important thing is to become an attorney. If I don't get into my dream school, it will all still work out. Wishing you all the best!!