PTB.S1.Q23 - Deep tillage is even more deleterious

Cece SccCece Scc Core Member
edited December 2023 in Logical Reasoning 5 karma

Trying out PrepTest B - Section 1 - Question 23 (Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's top soil supply than previously believed...) I understand why C is the right answer but I just can't seem to explain to myself why A isn't the right answer. Thoughts?

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [first set of words]"

Comments

• AmericanInJapanAmericanInJapan Alum Member
    73 karma

The LSAT really does pick just the most interesting topics to talk about right?

So let's take a look at this absolutely engrossing argument about....topsoil? I swear half of this test is just getting yourself to care about these arguments.

And we should care this argument because there is a big freaking gap here.

The author is complaining about deep tillage. Do I know what tillage is? No I do not. But I know it's deep.

We then read about how it's really bad because it causes erosion. Okay, deep tillage causes erosion, got it.

So therefore, we should stop tilling altogether.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????

Let's see if I can say this a different way. My problem is that I eat an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream. I can't help myself, it's the best ice cream there is and I will not hear any arguments about it. The problem with eating an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's is that it makes me fat (just ask my wife). So therefore, I should not eat any ice cream ever again.

What's the problem here? Well, it's not an all-or-nothing thing! I could eat just, idk, not an entire pint. I could have a scoop. I could eat healthy ice cream (what is it called, halo top? Gross).

So that's what C is saying, we need to plug the gap and say "there are only 2 options, deep tilling, and no-tilling." It's either eat the entire pint of ice cream, or no ice cream at all. No in-betweens.

What A is saying is that getting fat does not make me want to eat more ice cream. Uhhh, who cares what I want. The conclusion is that we need to eat ZERO ice cream.

Thinking about it differently, let's do a negation and say that, in fact, getting fat did make me want to eat entire pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Well this is just going to wreak havoc on my body and probably my marriage. So this really just supports the conclusion because if that's the case, I really need to stop eating ice cream.

But all this is kinda moot, because take a look at the conclusion. Does it say "farmers will want to stop deep tillage"? No, it says they should.

Do I want to stop eating Ben & Jerry's? Not really, but I should.

Fun Fact: The large chunks in Ben & Jerry's ice cream is because one of the founders, Jerry, has anosmia, which is also called smell blindness, so he needed big chunks (texture) to enjoy the ice cream.