Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Tips

cira2025cira2025 Core Member

Does anybody have tips on how to improve on RC? I typically get like -14 or -16 on this section and doing low res has helped but when the passage is difficult / under timed conditions, it does not seem to help me at all. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Comments

• J1234567J1234567 Core Member
    21 karma

I was in the same boat as you before with the -14 so I understanding how frustrating it can be — but don't give up! A huge thing that's been helping me with timing is confidence drills. Essentially, when you go through passages under timed conditions, don't look back in the passage for reference and pick the answer you think is correct and move on. Then in BR take all the time you need to refer to text and find actual answer, debate AC's, etc. This helped me as I was often going back to the passage to verify each AC to be correct, or just was stuck between two answer choices, simply because I didn't have the "confidence" that I knew all I needed to know for the AC's. This may seem like an obvious drill to do, but I really think (at least for me) getting hung up on AC's and questions drains so much time and takes time away from doing the next passage. By forcing yourself to go with your gut, you're building your confidence that you know what you're doing and it creates a more "smooth sailing" timed section in which you can complete all the passages in time. Hope this helps!

• cira2025cira2025 Core Member
    116 karma

Hi! I recently completed my first confidence drill and it was for LR, but I definitely will try it for RC! Reading your comment makes me feel better that someone else was in the same boat as me and was able to get out of that rut. Have a great rest of your day!

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    616 karma

instead of waiting until the end of the paragraph to process what you read, try asking yourself 'what did i just read' as you read, after each sentence