Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do law schools have access to all of your writing samples or just the most recent one?

izzy101247izzy101247 Alum Member
in General 103 karma

Does LSAC send law schools all of your writing samples (within the 5 year timeframe) if you retook it? Or do they only see most recent sample?

I retook the writing last November because I wasn’t happy with the writing sample I had on file from a year ago. I also took the January test and have the opportunity to take the writing sample again. I am ok with the quality of my retake sample, and I don’t want to take it again if only the most recent is submitted. But if all of them are sent, I don’t see the harm in submitting another sample so law schools can see that the quality of my writing does not vary dramatically.

I have received several, contradictory answers from LSAC, and none of the support staff could directly locate the exact wording under LSAC’s policy or guidelines.

I understand, in the grand scheme of application review, the writing sample doesn’t hold much weight and is required partly for a plagiarism check. But, again, I see no harm done if it gives reviewers access to additional writing.

Comments

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    643 karma

LSAC states on their website that up to 3 most recent reportable writing samples are included with your law school report. Like LSAT scores, writing samples older than 5 years won't be reported to law schools. If I'm happy with my writing sample (coherent and followed directions of prompt), I'll consider myself done.

The writing sample is important, because it can be seen. However, keep in mind that it's up to each school if, and how, the writing sample is used in evaluating your application. Think of it as schools having the option to read sample 1, 2, or 3. They may not choose all available options.

Assuming a school does read all 3, consider the flip side. Might they expect an improvement in writing quality over 3 samples? People retake the LSAT aiming to do better than last time -- to get a "higher quality" score. If you're comfortable with schools evaluating your application with the writing sample(s) you have on file, I vote for not redoing it. That time would be better spent on your personal statement and other admission essays; they'll spend more time reading this writing.