PT94.S4.Q18 - How can something produce a stronger equal effect?

juneaswad01juneaswad01 Alum Member
edited March 10 in Logical Reasoning 4 karma

Most vulnerable to criticism
Q-In a certain nation, stringent regulations prevent private landowners from building on their land if any endangered species is present on it. These regulations make the presence of endangered species a severe financial liability for many landowners and thereby discourage the landowners from protecting the endangered species on their land. Therefore, endangered species would very likely not be harmed by removal of the regulations on land development.

Correct Answer- (C) It unjustifiably overlooks the possibility that even if certain factors tend to produce a given effect, they may be likely to produce stronger countervailing effects as well

I picked A, but how can something "produce stronger countervailing effects" if countervailing literally means "offsetting an effect by countering it with something of equal force"? How can something produce a stronger equal effect?

Admin Note: Edited title. For LR questions, please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."

Comments

• issacforstudyissacforstudy Core Member
    3 karma

i think C means: the regulation discourage them to willingly protect the animal, but the regulation could also provide heavy penalty that no land owner will want to harm the endangered animal

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    611 karma

I think answer C is just a very fancy/evil way of saying ‘overlooks the possibility the alternative is worse’

• peezusmcgeepeezusmcgee Core Member
    edited April 8 154 karma

this one was hard