Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q: I've taken the exam 4x. I have one more left this year (2 more lifetime).

PenbridgePenbridge Live Member
in General 44 karma

Hello 7SAGERS,
I have a question and it could be something others are thinking. My last time taking the exam was my 4th. One of my exams had a tech issue but it was counted even though I couldn't finish. I've been trying to do better with my study even thought I work two jobs, one full one P/T. I wanted to start law school in Fall 2024.

With only one more chance to take the exam this calendar year, and two more available over lifetime -- what would you do? I seriously want to change my career course and it feels like timing is everything but I also know that I need money to attend law school and that translates to your score. I have been seriously stressed about this. LG hasn't been my strong suit so I know I could wait until Aug or Fall to take it again, but that means applying for 2025 cycle and I've already put in apps for Fall 2024. I'm nervous that even if my last score is decent what if the schools have run out of funds for scholarship? ?And if I didn't do well, I am not sure if I should withdraw all of my apps or just wait for their decision - but I don't know if you can decline if you're accepted but you don't receive scholarships??

I'm seriously stressed about all of this. Can anyone inform on these questions I have? Thank you.

Comments

• missjurisdocmissjurisdoc Live Member
    640 karma

I decided on a whim to do june before they toss lg for good; i also have taking it 4 times and only started really studying w/ 7sage in november- this has been the best study style for me; so far uncertain how strong ill get lr down for the big change so thats why im doing june; i also have an app that i withdrew but requested reinstatement for this fall as well;

you seem to have a lot invested for this fall too so i think it makes sense for you too; in worst case scenario i would maybe push forward for like november so you feel more relaxed; I'm open to chatting more in DM's too.

• cafetero23cafetero23 Live Member
    33 karma

I am not fully in your shoes but I have been studying for this exam for over a year. I have not been studying in the best manner but can empathize with your want to get this exam over with so you get your law school started. I live in Canada, so we have to apply for law school between November and the beginning for next year - I believe. If I apply this cycle and get in, then I would be starting law school in September 2025.

I am 28 and have had a lot of ups and downs in my personal live during the time I have been studying for this exam. It has been a time of a lot of personal growth and growing pains associated with it. I want to go into law for so many reasons. The money, some personal goals, and several others. I have spent so many hours studying but just feel like time passing is passing me by. and I cannot lie there is the seeds of doubt in my mind of many kind during this process many that still remain to this day. I do not know if this a similar stress that you are currently feeling. But we also got to be positive that regardless of the outcome things will be alright. It does not say anything about who we are. During this time I have been going to therapy and one of the things I am trying to learn is that we have plenty of time. Many people in their 30s, 40s and 50s are going to law school.

You might get into law school or you might not but I hope you do. At least you are trying. At least you have taken the exam while many have not.

I think if LG is your weakest, its not the worst idea to wait till 2025 to do your law school since you have only 2 more exams. It could take the stress away. It also helps to vent so if you ever wanna went my DMs are open.

• PenbridgePenbridge Live Member
    44 karma

@missjurisdoc said:
    I decided on a whim to do june before they toss lg for good; i also have taking it 4 times and only started really studying w/ 7sage in november- this has been the best study style for me; so far uncertain how strong ill get lr down for the big change so thats why im doing june; i also have an app that i withdrew but requested reinstatement for this fall as well;

you seem to have a lot invested for this fall too so i think it makes sense for you too; in worst case scenario i would maybe push forward for like november so you feel more relaxed; I'm open to chatting more in DM's too.

Hi, thank you so much. I have invested a great deal. I began studying last summer June 2023! So many resources trying to figure out what's right for me all while dealing with work and everything else. I will reach out! Best wishes to you as well.

44 karma

@cafetero23 said:
    I am not fully in your shoes but I have been studying for this exam for over a year. I have not been studying in the best manner but can empathize with your want to get this exam over with so you get your law school started. I live in Canada, so we have to apply for law school between November and the beginning for next year - I believe. If I apply this cycle and get in, then I would be starting law school in September 2025.

I am 28 and have had a lot of ups and downs in my personal live during the time I have been studying for this exam. It has been a time of a lot of personal growth and growing pains associated with it. I want to go into law for so many reasons. The money, some personal goals, and several others. I have spent so many hours studying but just feel like time passing is passing me by. and I cannot lie there is the seeds of doubt in my mind of many kind during this process many that still remain to this day. I do not know if this a similar stress that you are currently feeling. But we also got to be positive that regardless of the outcome things will be alright. It does not say anything about who we are. During this time I have been going to therapy and one of the things I am trying to learn is that we have plenty of time. Many people in their 30s, 40s and 50s are going to law school.

You might get into law school or you might not but I hope you do. At least you are trying. At least you have taken the exam while many have not.

I think if LG is your weakest, its not the worst idea to wait till 2025 to do your law school since you have only 2 more exams. It could take the stress away. It also helps to vent so if you ever wanna went my DMs are open.

Hi thank you for responding. I can very much related to ups and downs in personal life well managing to pursue a dream and stay focused. You're right so many students of all ages and backgrounds have and are pursuing this goal. It is inspiring to know this. I think I'm just at a crossroads. Thank you for your time and best wishes to you!

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    797 karma

I would wait and take in August, and apply again early for the 2025. The reason for this is two fold:

1. The LSAT is stressful and hard, but it also determines what law school you will get in to which has a major effect on your career outcomes. I understand the desire to change career paths, but rushing the process might leave you in another undesirable situation at a law school that isn't really your first choice.

2. Scholarship money. Retaking the LSAT again, getting a better score, and applying early in the cycle sets yourself up for the best possible scholarship opportunities. You mentioned this was a concern of yours, and the later the cycle goes, the less money is available for students. Waiting another year could save you a lot of money (think 100-200k+ debt), even though it feels a bit counterintuitive to delay your career change.

In short, your dream will come. Law schools are here to stay, make sure you don't sell yourself short and regret it. I did the same thing as you did -- working two jobs and took a gap year, bumped my LSAT up and applied. It is worth it to wait and make sure you get in to the school you really want to attend -- at a discount too.

44 karma

@"AlexLSAT." said:
    I would wait and take in August, and apply again early for the 2025. The reason for this is two fold:

1. The LSAT is stressful and hard, but it also determines what law school you will get in to which has a major effect on your career outcomes. I understand the desire to change career paths, but rushing the process might leave you in another undesirable situation at a law school that isn't really your first choice.

2. Scholarship money. Retaking the LSAT again, getting a better score, and applying early in the cycle sets yourself up for the best possible scholarship opportunities. You mentioned this was a concern of yours, and the later the cycle goes, the less money is available for students. Waiting another year could save you a lot of money (think 100-200k+ debt), even though it feels a bit counterintuitive to delay your career change.

In short, your dream will come. Law schools are here to stay, make sure you don't sell yourself short and regret it. I did the same thing as you did -- working two jobs and took a gap year, bumped my LSAT up and applied. It is worth it to wait and make sure you get in to the school you really want to attend -- at a discount too.

AlexLSAT, this is truly stellar and valuable advice! Thank you for this. In the back of my mind I suspected maybe I should wait. You are right. I truly want the best score to gain scholarship.

• fatima.bukharifatima.bukhari Live Member
    edited April 29 9 karma

Hi there !

I thought I'd jump in here with my two cents. I've always wanted to go to law school but for personal reasons , ups and downs in life -I ended up with a degree in engineering but the desire to pursue a law career never really left me. I am now in my 40s and studying for the LSAT. during this study process I've lost a parent and a sibling and have had to hold up a surviving members so there have been ups and downs during this period as well. By the time I take the LSAT and actually start Law school I may be looking at fall 2026 yet because I do not plan on retiring I figure this still gives me plenty time to live my dream and even if I planned on retiring I would have at least 20-25 years of practice. From where I stand you and I are both still young so I say delay and set yourself up for better. Your dream deserves for you to take your time and do it right.

Please feel free to reach out via DMs

44 karma

@"fatima.bukhari" said:

Hi there !

I thought I'd jump in here with my two cents. I've always wanted to go to law school but for personal reasons , ups and downs in life -I ended up with a degree in engineering but the desire to pursue a law career never really left me. I am now in my 40s and studying for the LSAT. during this study process I've lost a parent and a sibling and have had to hold up a surviving members so there have been ups and downs during this period as well. By the time I take the LSAT and actually start Law school I may be looking at fall 2026 yet because I do not plan on retiring I figure this still gives me plenty time to live my dream and even if I planned on retiring I would have at least 20-25 years of practice. From where I stand you and I are both still young so I say delay and set yourself up for better. Your dream deserves for you to take your time and do it right.

Please feel free to reach out via DMs

Thanks so much! I can very much related, and I appreciate what you have shared. It fully underscores that we as prospective law students have are coming from various life experiences and if this is your dream - it is a worthwhile pursuit!