Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a tutor and my score is going down

evvomed4evvomed4 Core Member
in General 14 karma

Hey all,

I realized a little while ago that I needed help studying and got a tutor (planning to take the June 2024 test). I thought it was going well, but I took my first practice test in a while and got a 153 (my lowest score since my diagnostic test, and way below my average of 160). Is this a normal thing when starting tutoring? I get that I'm relearning how to take the test and knew there would be bumps in the road, but I'm kind of worried about it. I ended up getting questions wrong that I was 99% sure I got right, and thought I was using everything I learned in tutoring. I still have a month and plenty of sessions before the test, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this experience and if it's a normal thing.

Comments

• HamburgerNotHelperHamburgerNotHelper Core Member
    24 karma

First, it's really normal to have fluctuations in test scores. Fluctuations could be caused by anything from poor sleep to higher stress. Second, I would not let one data point sway you on whether your tutor is the reason for the lower score. If a scientist told you that burgers lower anxiety because a participant felt calmer after eating a burger, you'd probably (and rightly) tell them that's a bad argument.

• andersonolivia276andersonolivia276 Live Member
    24 karma

Hello,
    I wouldn't be too worried :) It all depends on the PT you took.. some PT's are definitely harder than others which is why you could have scored lower. Also, I feel once I got a tutor I had to retrain my brain the correct way of learning the LSAT rather then before I was doing my own ways. I would revisit that PT and really understand what went wrong and if that PT was more or less hard for others. I would keep studying and trust the process :) sometimes it get worse before it gets better.

• gbellgbellgbellgbell Live Member
    23 karma

I honestly just got ANNIHILATED by PT 89. I'm pretty good when it comes to LG, and I ran out of time on a section I am usually -0 to -2 in. I decided to not even finish it after LG and LR. I knew the score was going to be horrible.

I turned around and did PT 88 just yesterday, and I actually did pretty well. I've been steadily going up from a 160 to a 165/66 the past few weeks since getting a tutor.

According to my research, PT 89 is one of the most difficult tests for a lot of people. I would not be surprised if a test in the 80s is what you're hung up on. Apparently, they are some of the more difficult ones.