Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More reading comp practice?

deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
Hello 7Sage!

I have run into a problem. Between Feb 2015 and June 2015 I did every preptest, except for 72, 73, and 74. Since June, in preparation for October, I have already done 72 and 73, and have only 74 left. My problem is that I think that RC is the least-repeatable section on the test, and now I am left with nothing else to practice my RC skills with.

Any advice on anything else that I can use to practice? Is there another test that has similar RC passages? Any nonfiction material? Part of the problem is how distinctively logical LSAT materials are. Even things like The Economist don't feel similar to me.

Thanks!

Comments

• lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    why do you think it's the least repeatable? I actually think it is the MOST! especially those passages I dreaded and found "boring". I have repeated many passages, and let me tell you, I did not remember any answer by heart. I had to work it pretty much as if it were new, I didnt even remember the catch (uhm is this why I continue to not improve RC? ...that's for another post LOL)
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    PT 75 is out there and ready to be picked up through LSAC / other sources too! So there's that as well. J.Y. is finishing off the explanations for the whole thing. :)
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Since PT retakes as a whole are valuable learning tools, then RC passages can be as well. I guarantee you're not going to be getting 100% right off of memory, so you'll still have to put all the work in just the same, it will just be slightly easier since it's not the first time seeing the subject matter.
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" : Alas, I took preptest 75 in person in June, haha.
    393 karma
    @lpadr009:

I find it the least repeatable mostly because I have a good memory for the content of the passages. So when I take it a second time I don't find that I feel any "mental resistance" when I read the passage. I already know the main point, so I finish a passage in like 2 minutes less than normal. When I go over to a test that I haven't taken before it just feels too easy.

Also, the hardest passages, which I feel are the early 60's, are all tests that I have taken twice already, so those have no mental resistance at all.

I think that LR is the most repeatable. I have a terrible memory for those. I recognize that I have done them before, but I tend to get the same questions wrong in the exact same way.
    393 karma
    @Pacifico: definitely true. I don't. The questions are sort of new, but the mental process of the passage itself, that's what I'm missing the second time.
  • lschoolgolschoolgo Member
    274 karma
    i also find it very difficult to repeat RC passages. The older RC is also much easier than the recent RC so there are very few RC sections to practice with.

interested in tips on how to improve RC. i keep missing -7 to -9 in the newer RC after a lot of drills but in the old RC i never go more than -3.
    @josephellengar said:
    josephellengar

a month ago
    175 karma Flag

@lpadr009:

I find it the least repeatable mostly because I have a good memory for the content of the passages. So when I take it a second time I don't find that I feel any "mental resistance" when I read the passage. I already know the main point, so I finish a passage in like 2 minutes less than normal. When I go over to a test that I haven't taken before it just feels too easy.

Also, the hardest passages, which I feel are the early 60's, are all tests that I have taken twice already, so those have no mental resistance at all.

I think that LR is the most repeatable. I have a terrible memory for those. I recognize that I have done them before, but I tend to get the same questions wrong in the exact same way.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    IMHO, if you want to improve at RC then you should read more RC passages. Get your hands on every single passage you can. I understand that you might be better at the older ones, but if you're still going -1 to -3 on those then there is still room for improvement. I subscribe to the KISS principle and I think it applies here. The more RC passages you knock out, BR and learn from, the more that will translate to improvement now.