PT20.S1.Q04 - an ingredient in marijuana

Mister-eeeeMister-eeee Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 20 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-20-section-1-question-04/

I got this one wrong... even after blind review -___- but now I think I know why it's actually B and not C

The explanation I'm giving myself is that the experiments performed take THC on its own and not Marijuana as a whole? Then the conclusion states that all of Marijuana contains THC, thus Marijuana causes cancer. While completely disregarding any other properties Marijuana may have?

Can this be considered a "some" statement? (Some of marijuana --> then cancer)

I hope I'm making sense.

Comments

• megsvyas_OVOmegsvyas_OVO Alum Member
    218 karma
    Hey @"Mister-eeee"! So, this is a weaken question which means you need to weaken the relationship/support that is provided from the premises to the conclusion.

The conclusion is that the use of marijuana can cause cancer, and the reason (aka premise) provided for this is that inactivated herpesvirus, which is caused by marijuana, can convert healthy cells into cancer cells.

Marijuana (specifically THC) --causes--> inactivated herpes virus --causes--> cancer

We need something that says marijuana/THC does not necessarily cause cancer.

What can we do that would weaken/debunk the relationship between marijuana and cancer? Well, if there was something in marijuana that allows for NOT causing cancer, then that would be the answer. (B) is the only answer that allows for this weakening to take place. It's saying that there is something in marijuana that actually doesn't cause cancer; there's something in marijuana that takes away (neutralizes) the cancer-causing agent in THC - and so, therefore, we cannot necessarily conclude that marijuana causes cancer.

(C) is not the answer because it doesn't attack the relationship between the causing of cancer and marijuana. Instead (C) actually STRENGTHENS the relationship. Think about it: THC is weakening the immune system and making it more susceptible to catching cancer, therefore, marijuana is making it more likely that someone will get cancer, particularly by way of marijuana use.

Does that make sense?
  • Mister-eeeeMister-eeee Alum Member
    20 karma
    Got it! :) I appreciate the explanation