PT49.S1.G1 - during an international film

notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logic Games 1049 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-49-section-1-game-1/

Can someone explain question 7 of this game to me?

I get how there are three possible worlds: _ _ N G I N ; N _ G I N _ ; N _ _ G I N

The question asks "...then a film in Norwegian must be shown on". Why is it JUST day 1 and 3. I mean, it could also be shown on day 5 (per the second option above) or day 6 (per the third option above). Why is option "Day 1 and 3" correct as opposed to "Day 1 and 5", which is incorrect?

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    This is a sneaky question! It confused me at first too for the reasons you said above...

First, if a G is going to be shown after an N, we must have 2 N's, because the G already carries an N with it in a GIN block. So what we're really looking at is:
    N-[GIN]. So you have to ask yourself where you can place that first N so that everything works out. We know that it cannot go in 2 or 4. And we know that the first N can't be in 5 or 6, because we need at least 3 slots after it. This leaves us with either 1 or 3. There MUST be an N in either 1 or 3 because you couldn't make a game board that works without an N in either of them. So yea, there could be an N in 5 and 6, but there doesn't have to be.

It might also help to look at D in terms of a conditional, because what it's really saying it /1--->3, that is, if N is not in 1 then N must be in 3. So because it's an either/or rule, we can't have the situation where there's not an N in either of the spaces.

As always, to eliminate a MBT answer all you have to do is to try to make a diagram that conforms to all the rules and yet violates the answer choice. There's no such scenario you could make in which there is an N in neither 1 nor 3, so this is out winning MBT answer choice.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    AHHHHH. That makes perfect sense. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    No problem. The feeling of everything just clicking is great, so I'm glad I could help!