Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Too ambitious? (October LSAT) - 7Sage Forum

Too ambitious? (October LSAT)

mandyrose12343mandyrose12343 Live Member

I'm taking the Oct LSAT and the Jan LSAT and right now I'm in my first week of studying and scoring 150 on timed tests. (I've taken 3) This week I am now going to focus on the curriculum and learning the questions and focusing on areas I got wrong to strengthen those areas. But, is it it too ambitious to try to gain a 15-20 point jump by Oct? I've heard a couple stories of people doing it and I know the work I would need to put in. However, I'm just worried I'm putting too much pressure on the Oct LSAT. (I really want to get in through early admissions though.) Any thoughts? Advice? I'll take it all!

Also if you have any stories or need a study buddy I'm available to listen and help :)

Comments

• haquemoosahaquemoosa Core Member
    4 karma

Do you have any other commitments? Are you in school or working? I hate to be buzz kill and I want you to prove me wrong cause that would be a dream for me, a 15-20 point jump in one month sounds almost impossible.

Of course, I have no idea the type of studier you are or what your work ethic is like. You'd have to commit at least like 5 hours everyday.

Personally, I would focus on your January Attempt. Good luck!

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    198 karma

I agree with haq, I think January is where your best shot will be.

I say this very often in these forums, but it may be better for you to consider taking another year in order to apply with a stronger chance. You have your life to live, and circumstances may be demanding things from you, but if you want to ensure the best score you can for yourself, I would strongly urge you to consider taking another year to study. Ultimately you should make this decision based on how well you are improving in the coming weeks, but it is a very desperate strategy to set such a short window for yourself.

In the ideal world, we wouldn't take the test until we have the confidence. Setting a goal date and then trying to improve as much as you can in that timeframe is putting the cart before the horse in my opinion and can cause a loooot of stress, I know this because I did it that way. My original timeline was something like 4 months, I ended up waiting another year and taking a total of 9 months studying (with 8 weeks at the end of those 9 months being "full time" studying). Waiting that extra time made all the difference in the world and let me jump from 153 diagnostic into the 99th percentile. It was a very difficult decision, because I think like a lot of people, we think time is slipping through our fingers, but there is a lot of time and it's better to do it right and slow than fast and always ask yourself "what if I had scored higher..." That's the way I think about it anyway, you'll have to ask me in a couple months when I get decisions from the schools I'm applying to.

Good luck soldier! Regardless of what you decide to do, study hard! 15-20 point jumps are eminently possible, it's just the timeframe.

• mandyrose12343mandyrose12343 Live Member
    13 karma

@"nicholas.leon96" said:
    I agree with haq, I think January is where your best shot will be.

I say this very often in these forums, but it may be better for you to consider taking another year in order to apply with a stronger chance. You have your life to live, and circumstances may be demanding things from you, but if you want to ensure the best score you can for yourself, I would strongly urge you to consider taking another year to study. Ultimately you should make this decision based on how well you are improving in the coming weeks, but it is a very desperate strategy to set such a short window for yourself.

In the ideal world, we wouldn't take the test until we have the confidence. Setting a goal date and then trying to improve as much as you can in that timeframe is putting the cart before the horse in my opinion and can cause a loooot of stress, I know this because I did it that way. My original timeline was something like 4 months, I ended up waiting another year and taking a total of 9 months studying (with 8 weeks at the end of those 9 months being "full time" studying). Waiting that extra time made all the difference in the world and let me jump from 153 diagnostic into the 99th percentile. It was a very difficult decision, because I think like a lot of people, we think time is slipping through our fingers, but there is a lot of time and it's better to do it right and slow than fast and always ask yourself "what if I had scored higher..." That's the way I think about it anyway, you'll have to ask me in a couple months when I get decisions from the schools I'm applying to.

Good luck soldier! Regardless of what you decide to do, study hard! 15-20 point jumps are eminently possible, it's just the timeframe.

Thank you so much for responding honestly. I think deep down I do know I’m trying to overachieve something that really needs a lot of time and effort put in to it. I have told myself that if in oct and January my LSAT is anything below 165 I’m definitely going to defer a year and spend that year studying. As of now I work full time and I’m only able to give 2-3 hours a night of study before burnout so I already know it’s not as much as I need for such a short time jump. But I really do love hearing stories like this because it gives me hope and also a good goal to work towards should this not work out the way I’m hoping! Thank you :)

• mandyrose12343mandyrose12343 Live Member
    13 karma

@haquemoosa said:
    Do you have any other commitments? Are you in school or working? I hate to be buzz kill and I want you to prove me wrong cause that would be a dream for me, a 15-20 point jump in one month sounds almost impossible.

Of course, I have no idea the type of studier you are or what your work ethic is like. You'd have to commit at least like 5 hours everyday.

Personally, I would focus on your January Attempt. Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding with honesty :) yeah I think you’re definitely right since I do have a full time job it’s hard to give more then 2-3 hours a day to this goal. I’m going to really try but I’m also not going to put all my eggs in that basket, just so I don’t get discouraged 😅 thank you!!