Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Question on chain inference. - 7Sage Forum

Question on chain inference.

Yunny___Yunny___ Core Member

Hello,

I know that iA —most→ B → C, then you cannot conclude most A are C. But if it becomes:

A —most→ B → C→ D

can you conclude that most A are D?

Question on logical reasoning
  1. A —most→ B → C→ D Conclusion: Most A are D.12 votes
    1. Valid Conclusion
      66.67%
    2. Invalid Conclusion
      33.33%

Comments

• kgarciarojaskgarciarojas Live Member
    47 karma

Most the As are C, over 50% of set A is B, and that means that if all b are c, then most your As which are Bs are also Cs. So 50% of your As are Cs too, possibly more because most is more than 50%. Why do you think the two conditionals are different, one just has an extra the logic is the same.

• LSATenjoyer180LSATenjoyer180 Core Member
    26 karma

I have a bucket of A, I pour most of it into a bucket B, I pour the entirety of bucket B into bucket C, then I pour all of bucket C into bucket D. Most of my bucket A is in now in bucket D

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    675 karma

Of course not, A could account for 1% of D, you don’t know how big of the circle C and D is.

• DexterityDexterity Core Member
    edited September 15 887 karma

If A-most-B > C > D, then A-most-D is a perfectly valid conclusion to make, as is A-most-C.

Whoever said/voted otherwise needs to review this lesson: https://7sage.com/lesson/most-before-all-formal-argument-5/

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    675 karma

sorry I miss read it’s Most A is D, read that as most D is A. Yep it’s valid.