Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Even Bother To Retake?

rmcorneliusrmcornelius Core Member
in General 8 karma

This morning was pretty devastating. I took the June LSAT without any studying and got a 161. Then I retook it in September after completing about 100 hours of studying and literally got a 162.

I felt like I really saw improvements in my understanding and application. So is this the best I can do?

Comments

• nicholascaissienicholascaissie Core Member
    4 karma

The LSAT is a very difficult test, such that even if you are very prepared you can do badly on a particular test. I took an LSAT for which I felt extremely prepared, and only got a 163, but then when I retook it I got a 171. Do not let one disappointing result make you think that you have not made progress-the in-the-moment, timed nature of the test means that you can mess up even if you are very prepared.

• kvandeazkvandeaz Member
    2 karma

@nicholascassie

How far apart were those two tests for you?

• kmcke01kmcke01 Core Member
    2 karma

With you dude!

I was practice testing around a 165 for about a month till the LSAT. The two weeks prior my practice test scores consistently going down between a 158-160. I got a 159 on the official LSAT that I opened today. Super discouraging!

I feel a lot of what got to me was the stress. I under slept and put myself under A LOT of pressure. In a way the studying WASNT helping me as I was targeting a lot of really difficult topics with inadequate time to dive into each one.

I readjusted my studying with the help of this course and I'm now scoring up and just got my highest score of a 169 on a practice test. I'm taking the October in a week and am going to signup for November for a little extra safety.

I'd suggest you keep working at it but in the meantime try to take some of the pressures off. Get some sleep, exercise a bit, maybe try to meditate if you're open to it. Come back with a clear head and try to look at what you're struggling with most and target that. It can be really demotivating and studying or staring at your prospects isn't going to help right now. Take care of your self, do some things to make sure you're feel good about yourself and do some research and think up a gameplan to go forward when you're in a better headspace.

No matter what path you choose we got this and just have to stay positive! There's always another LSAT and there's always another application cycle if you don't get what you desire in the end.

• CapreolinaeCapreolinae Live Member
    6 karma

The format changed between June and September so it could have something to do with that. I took June and August and went down 2 points. The questions were slightly different and logic games were removed. I would retake if your practice scores were significantly higher using the new format for the PT.