Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to the process--- should I start apps, even if I'm taking the Dec test?

Cecilia ZCecilia Z Member
in General 144 karma
Hi everyone!

I just took the test for the first time this past weekend, and to be honest, I know for a fact I scored ~155 (or lower :(). It really was the nerves for me, as I had been scoring ~160 previously. That being said, I'm preparing for the December test now, and am aiming for 167+ to make up for this initial score (lofty goal I know, but I just started 7Sage and have got to say the methods are way better than the other company I was with!!!).

I read on another discussion that it's best to get your non-LSAT application components submitted by December for this application cycle, and just put a "hold" on your LSAT score. This being said, I have a couple questions:

1) If I don't cancel this first score yet I finish the other parts of the application, will admission committees see my first score of 155? Or will they wait until Jan 5 (or whenever the Dec test score is released) to look at my application for the first time? I would just hate for them to first see my application with this first LSAT score....

2) Does it look bad to start the applications now, yet submit them in December, or worst case, January? I haven't dared to touch the "start application" button on any of my LSAC saved schools, as I'm unsure exactly what they think of this. Nonetheless, I really want to see all the prompts so that I can start thinking about what I should write about!

Any advice would be so helpful, thank you guys so much!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited September 2016 11542 karma
    @zhouci said:
    but I just started 7Sage and have got to say the methods are way better than the other company I was with!!!
    Did you enroll in a 7sage course? I only ask because there isn't a membership next to your name :D
    @zhouci said:
    If I don't cancel this first score yet I finish the other parts of the application, will admission committees see my first score of 155? Or will they wait until Jan 5 (or whenever the Dec test score is released) to look at my application for the first time?
    First: Don't cancel. You owe it to yourself to see the score you got on your first LSAT not to mention you're able to see what areas you were weak in to help better prepare you for next time. Second: all you have to do is email/call the schools you're applying to and let them know you're putting your application on hold until the Dec. score is released. Even if they see the 155, they will discount it if your Dec score is higher, meaning schools generally only take your higher LSAT anyway.
    @zhouci said:
    Does it look bad to start the applications now, yet submit them in December, or worst case, January? I haven't dared to touch the "start application" button on any of my LSAC saved schools, as I'm unsure exactly what they think of this. Nonetheless, I really want to see all the prompts so that I can start thinking about what I should write about!
    Nope, start your application ASAP and send before the Dec LSAT so your application will automatically be put in review instead of waiting a few more weeks once the scores are released :) plus like you said, it's important to see what schools require for submission besides the PS, LOR, and résumé. Schools don't really hold it against anyone that clicks the "start application" button lol, not even sure if they have knowledge of who clicks it :P either way, you should be fine and I think you should check it out! :D
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2016 23929 karma
    I would start now and have them ready to go before the holidays. If you ask them to hold your apps until Jan, they will wait until your December score comes in and your app goes complete before evaluating your applications. The advantage is that you'll be ahead of the people just submitting everything all at once in January. After the holidays admissions gets notoriously slammed with apps coming in.

However, make sure you make your first priority putting together a strong app. Much better to be a bit later with a great PS/DS/ Why X than earlier with a "mehhh" or average application package.

If you don't cancel the admissions people will see whatever score you get regardless.

Also, I don't think it looks bad to start the apps now at all, even if you aren't applying for a while.
    11542 karma
    Lmao, @"Alex Divine" we literally replied at the same exact time.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Lmao, @"Alex Divine" we literally replied at the same exact time.
    Haha! Great mind.... :D
  • Cecilia ZCecilia Z Member
    144 karma
    @"Alex Divine" and @montaha.rizeq thanks for the advice guys! Love the support in this community :)
    11542 karma
    @zhouci said:
    Love the support in this community :)
    We love it too <3
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    We love it too <3
    :D