Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

November LSAT 3.9 GPA//Reverse Splitter

Haley ScioleHaley Sciole Core Member
in General 47 karma

Hey guys. I've been doing prep for the last 2-3 months (7sage & Other), looking at taking my first practice test tomorrow since my June LSAT (145, I know it's bad please don't scold me, I know I shouldn't have wasted the attempt).

I am hoping to score a 160 (hopefully) on the November LSAT with 3 weeks left and "crunch" time approaching what would the best way be for me to dedicate the rest of my time. Would it be to take just practice tests or would it be beneficial to see how my PT goes tomorrow and look at my weakness and tackle them there?

I'm just stressed as taking a gap year is not possible for me (I already have work experience too, so no hindering there). I'm hoping to finish my applications and submit as soon as I get my LSAT score. I'm looking for any and all advice, please I'm trying to be optimistic I just need someone sane to tell me if this is unrealistic?

Comments

• alacebo20alacebo20 Core Member
    3 karma

160 is not a bad score if you are realistic about the schools you hope to get into. I would alternate between full timed practice tests and specialized drills. Take a practice test one day, review the wrong answers the next day, and then do drill sets only on the types of questions you get wrong most often on the third day. Then repeat for the next three weeks. If all else fails, you can submit your applications now and retake the LSAT in January (if the schools you are applying to allow it) and report the score after. At least your applications will be submitted and will be considered sooner rather than later. I hope this helps!

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    217 karma

I think consistent practice focused on your areas of biggest improvement is key.

I would disagree with alacebo, I think practice tests should be used more sparingly. There is value in becoming accustomed to the actual task of taking the test, since it's such a mental marathon, but the LR and RC materials lose a lot of their edge after you've seen them before, so doing a ton of tests runs the risk of running out of material. I know you intend to take the test in November and be done, but there is no use in backing yourself into a corner and burning all available test materials. Also, taking so many PTs so quickly is a pretty great way to burn yourself out which is not what you want in the run up to exam date.

I would recommend a more measured approach, taking PT's at most once a week, using the data gathered from those tests to narrow your scope of study. If your analytics say you are having trouble with a particular concept or question, then for the next week you can hammer that concept with lots of drilling. And always keeping an eye towards timing.

I would recommend developing a skipping strategy. Success on this exam can be best guaranteed by making the process as algorithmic or mechanical as possible. Having a plan for how to take each section is just as important for having a plan on how to tackle each question type. What types of questions do you automatically skip after identifying their question stem? After how long do you move on from a question if you're not sure what's going on or dont have a clue what the answer might be? What level of uncertainty are you willing to accept in a final answer choice, and what answers choices will you flag for a second look if you have spare time at the end of the section. These are all questions that are useful to tackle and if you have well rehearsed answers to them, you will see a bump in your score.