Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT50 S1 Q28

babybennybabybenny Free Trial Member
I chose C, but the answer is B.
I can't still find out what the difference between B and C.
Why is C wrong and B an answer?

Can someone explain me?
Thanks!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    This question boils down to how well you understood what a riddled basin of attraction is. If I were trying to explain the concept, I would say it's a highly intricate system in which even the smallest change in starting position can lead to varying results. Because the scientists identified these systems exist experimentally, it may be the case that there are many of these systems. Maybe it is the case that many experiments that were initially found to be lacking credibility because they couldn't be replicated were doomed from the start because they were operating in a metaphorical riddled basin of attraction in which the likelihood of replication was dependent on an extremely small margin of error at its starting point.

Applying this to the answer choices, B is the closest. The scientist is unable to predict the outcome because it is impossible to replicate the exact starting conditions.

C is incorrect because it says "even approximately" meaning that the starting conditions are not even close to being the same. This is not what was described in the passage. The starting points can be really close, but even the smallest change could lead to a different outcome.

Hope this helps!