Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Study Tips/Strategies

stewelllehstewellleh Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma
First things first, hello. I am very new to this site, and I found it while scrounging the net for any resources I could get my mitts on. That said, I have a question for any willing and/or able to help.

I know a lot of my weaknesses when I take this test, and I know how to fight a lot of them. For example, I panic when I see the ticking clock, but that can be conditioned out. The main problem I've been having is that while I've been studying for the better part of 3 months (with just shy of 2 to go), it seems like a lot of my practice just churns up the same undesirable results. I check my answers regularly and review helpful question strategies but seem to keep slipping up on stupid, easily avoidable mistakes. Maybe I am simply not cut out for this test, but suffice it to say I refuse to accept that.

To avoid this conclusion, I'd like to know what method(s), shifts in point of view, study regiment changes, and all other such alterations that might have helped you break through to a better grade the most effectively.

Thanks much in advance for any insight you might offer.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @stewellleh said:
    it seems like a lot of my practice just churns up the same undesirable results.
    It just takes longer than 3-5 months for a lot of us. I studied for 15 months and only saw scores I liked (low-mid 170's) semi-consistently after about a year. It depends on what your goal is.
    7965 karma
    @stewellleh said:
    To avoid this conclusion
    You just need more time. Consider taking in June, depending on your goal.
    7965 karma
    And by the way ...

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

My diagnostic was a 152 and my last 3 fresh PT scores before the test were 173.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    edited October 2015 1196 karma
    @nicole.hopkins, do you mind me asking how much time per week you would study during that 15 month period? I'm just curious because I have only been studying since early August and plan on taking the December LSAT but I'm studying 60-70 hours per week. I will take the Feb exam as a backup if I don't do well in December but do not have the luxury to wait until June because I will need to start Law School in the fall. My timed LSATs (only 5 so far) so far have not been great but I'm hoping with the next two months I'll be able to bring the score up. I would like to start taking 4 LSATs per week after I complete the 7Sage program next week.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Holy crap! Tell me that's a typo!? You're studying 60-70 hrs a week?!!! Wow! That's admirable but please be careful of burnout. It's real. I would be crossed eyed studying for 60 hrs a week! If you're mentally ok with 4 PT a week ok, but you have to make sure you're doing thorough blind reviews or you're not going to gain much. I study around 20 hrs a week, but your studying time depends on when you're trying to take the test. It sounds like you're cramming to take December. I'm not going to knock you for that because only you know how you're handling it if you're truly making progress. If burnout catches up to you scale back the study hours and take February. Some people are totally against February, but every person studying for the LSAT will tell you something different so you make that decision for yourself. Of course, the next option would be June. Is that feasible for you?
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Hi tanes256, no unfortunately that's not a typo. I just finished my undergrad (returning student after 20+ years of work experience) so 60+ hours of studying has become normal for me since I was carrying between 18-24 credit hours per semester. I will need to start law school in the fall so it is important for me to make February my last option for testing. I was initially scheduled for the Oct 3rd but realized that studying for only 3 weeks was completely inadequate & rescheduled to Dec. I'm seeing progress, my first cold PT was a 144, and I retook that same exam about a week ago after two months and it increased to 157. However because I had seen most of the exam before I know that it skewed (there was an experimental section in the retake). Since starting 7Sage I have held off on taking any other timed PTs until I finish the course which should be by next week. I have gone through the LG Bible & am about halfway through the Trainer in addition to just finishing the RC section of 7Sage. I think after next week the workload will be a little better with just working on practice tests and BR.
    7965 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    I'm studying 60-70 hours per week
    You are studying about twice as many hours as you should be.