Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT58 S4 Q2

babybennybabybenny Free Trial Member
edited October 2015 in Logical Reasoning 156 karma
I picked E but the answer is C. And I still don't understand why E is wrong.
I think E also can weaken the conclusion since it says "The physical effort~~~~does not stimulate circulation enough to warm your hands."
So Why can't E be an answer? And why is C right?
What's the difference between them?

Please someone explain me.
Thanks!

Comments

• kristymoawadkristymoawad Member
    19 karma
    Hey, I don't know if this is right but I'm going to attempt to defend E.

So, yeah, E is a weird choice. But if you look at the stimulus and try not to make any assumptions from it, it works.

Stimulus says: "one can always keep warm by PUTTING on an extra layer..." this doesn't necessarily mean that the stimulus is saying by WEARING this thermal shirt that it's going to warm you up. I guess it's pretty weird, but I wouldn't make the jump from this sentence to the last sentence that starts with "after all..." like, i could imagine the act of putting on the extra layer is enough to warm up vital organs, and then warm up hands. it never says anything about WEARING an extra layer is what is keeping vital organs -> hands warm.

Also, C just seems random to me. Frostbite? I mean there are definitely places around the world that are cold enough to cause frostbite during winter, but it doesn't seem to really weaken the argument. Especially if you look at the argument being the act of putting on something -> warms vital organs -> warms hands

I don't know if this was helpful. It's a weird question.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    Conclusion: Gloves or mittens are not necessary to keep one’s hands warm in the winter.
    Combined Premises: By putting on extra layer of clothing --> vital organs warm --> hands warm.
    The argument fails to consider a scenario (one which we must consider to be true) where the layered clothing is not enough, as in ac(C) when the temps are so low that frostbite can occur. In that supposed true scenario one may need gloves. And so the conclusion (that one NEVER needs Gloves or mittens) no longer holds.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    As far as ac(E) is concerned, the argument is not trying to imply that there is any connection between the physical act of putting on clothes and hand warmth. It is saying that the vital organs are kept warm which can keep hands warm. Asserting that there is no connection between the physical activity and hand warmth is totally consistent with the existing argument and therefore does not weaken it.