Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Science Experiments in LR Questions

badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
in General 316 karma
Powerscore claims that recently PTs have had a lot more science experiment questions in LR. I've obviously taken a bunch of science classes and know the basics, but I still think it's weird to see these scenarios in the LSAT world.

For example, on PT 71 Section 3 #4, E is the right answer because it shows that there is a control group, and every study should have a control group. Though I know this, I wouldn't think that really counts as strengthening.......but I guess it shows that the experiment is a good one.

Either way, whenever a science experiment shows up, should I be checking to see that all/most requirements of a good science experiment are mentioned? I don't know if my question makes sense haha but I'm trying to find a general approach for the future

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    You make sense to me. I think this is sound advice.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Well, you don't have to make sure the experiment meets any robust scientific standards by any means, so don't take the time to make sure ALL of the requirements match up. Instead, take the science out of it because it can get intimidating at times. When the speaker is detailing a scientific experiment or a survey or just making an observation of two groups, make sure you are always critical of the starting points of the two groups. Is there anything that might distort the results or that would offer an alternate explanation?

71/3/4 is a good example of what I'm talking about. The answer isn't necessarily correct because it establishes a control group. What I mean is, if answer choice E just said "The study conducted in the hospital had a control group and followed scientific protocols," it wouldn't be as strong of an answer. Instead, the answer is correct because it eliminates a huge potential weakness to the argument! That is, how do we know the people who experienced the reduction in pain had their pain reduced because of the magnets? It could have easily been that they knew they were getting a treatment, and that made them feel better, which in turn lessened their pain. E makes this kind of possibility less likely, because the patient's beliefs about their treatments are the same whether or not they received the magnets or the placebos.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    @c.janson35 thank you that is so helpful! I also didn't think to approach it how I approach survey questions, but I'll think of it this way now
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    @badgalriri no problem!