Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Superprep A RC #20

Can't understand this question for the life of me. Might be because I don't have a good science background.
The author says explicitly in lines 34-42 that because the "magnetic fields of basalts in NA are aligned quite differently from rocks formed in the same epoch in Europe" this supports the theory of continental drift.
Doesn't (C) undermine this since it talks about some being the same magnetic field alignment? And how is (A) the answer? The seafloor spreading supports contintental drift since it shows that the plates move. Isn't (A) just something additional that we were able to figure out?
A and E were easy to eliminate, would appreciate an explanation for why A is right and C and D are wrong. TIA.

Comments

• StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Bump
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Saw that some ppl reviewed PT A last night and still looking for help with this question. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2015 2398 karma
    "Thus, seafloor spreading not only explained the long standing puzzle of why the ocean basins are so much younger than the continents, but also provided evidence that the plates, and so the continents on them,move."

The realization that the basins were younger provided a key piece of evidence for the fact that the ocean floor was spreading, and additionally, that the continents were moving. If the basins were actually older than the continents, though, then this key piece of information is invalidated and the idea that the ocean floor was spreading and therefore creating a new surface in between with hardened molten would be seriously in doubt.