Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEC 1995, Logic Game 2 (Please help me understand)

in General 199 karma
Hello,

I don't understand why, in the setup, the last row has to be occupied by only supervisors. It's 4 free spots and I only have 3 supervisors left, then why must I chose the last two spots in the last row opposed to another spot where they are dispersed wherever. Can someone please help me understand why those last 2 spots are reserved for supervisors, could F, for example, be repeated and thus placed in both a supervisory and officer spot?

Also, in number 2, why does K have to be the one that repeats rather than M, for example?

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    edited November 2015 1644 karma
    @"LSAT Determined"

If I am understanding your question correctly, I think your confusion is stemming from the way JY set up his particular board. What I mean by that is this... we know that there is at least one officer per committee. So, JY made it easier on himself and made the top row for just officers. This works because there is no sequencing aspect to the individual committees. So, to make it easier to see and more efficient overall, we just chose to box in the very top row for the officers. Visually, we can see that these spots are officers only.

By way of the third rule, we know that all three officers must be assigned to the Policy Committee. This rule sets up the restrictiveness of the game. When you fill up the entire policy committee and reserve one spot in each of the Q and S committee for officers, you are tying up 5 total spots out of nine. This leaves us with only 4 possible spots to fit three supervisors in. Now, we know that all three sups have to be somewhere and they must fit somewhere in these 4 spots. However, we could have one repeat and all four spots be tied up with sups... that's possible.

Again, I believe your source of confusion is coming from how all this is set up. When you're trying to figure out just how to guarantee 3 sups fit into these remaining four spots, we know that the bottom row is going to be supervisors. But, that is just how we chose to set the board up. It could be inverted if we chose to reserve the bottom row for the officers. Since every supervisor has to be present, we know that 2 will be in Q and 1 will be in S (at least) or visa versa. By mapping this out and visualizing it, that's where we come up with "the last two spots on the bottom row are left for supervisors." Of course, officers will fill in the remaining slots of each row while observing the rule G<--->/L. The fourth spot, regardless of whether it is in Q or S, could be filled by an officer or supervisor (depending on the previous rule).

I hope this helps a little bit. Feel free to PM me if you need to. I'd be glad to help how I can.

http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-17-section-1-game-2/