Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Help! PT 29 Game 2, Question 9-Really Good but Challenging Game

BigJay20BigJay20 Member

The rules of this game seem fairly simply yet there is an inference I'm not getting.
The colors are Navy, Yellow and Red; the clothing pieces are a hat, a jacket, a skirt and a red tie for M1.
M2 gets a Navy skirts-leaving M2 to only ONE additional color choice to be styled.
M1 gets the red tie-leaving M1 to only one additional color to be styled.
We are told that the hat color must be different from the jacket color; i.e, if M1 wears a red hat, the jacket can be any other color BUT red. Same for M2

Now here's my problem, it seems I'm missing an inference where M1 and M2 can't have the same color in the same clothing.Like, M1 having a Navy Jacket and M2 having a Navy Jacket. BUT the rules doesn't say they can't have the same color of clothing. It only says the hat and jacket color must be different for each mannequin.

For 9: If M1 wears the Navy Jacket, I don't see why M2 can't wear a red hat.

Manq.1 H J S T
Color R N R R

Manq.2 H J S
Color R N N

Per my illustration above sticking to the rules:
-Neither mannequin is wearing all 3 colors (M1, Y & N), (M2, R & N)
-M1's hat(R) is different from its Jacket (N) and M2's hat (R) is different from its jacket (N)
-M2 has the navy skirt and M1 has the red tie.

Per this illustration how is answer C wrong?

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited September 2020 4306 karma

@BigJay20 said:
    Now here's my problem, it seems I'm missing an inference where M1 and M2 can't have the same color in the same clothing. Like, M1 having a Navy Jacket and M2 having a Navy Jacket. BUT the rules doesn't say they can't have the same color of clothing. It only says the hat and jacket color must be different for each mannequin.

In the paragraph before the rules, there are sometimes inferences that can be helpful. For this game it states, "Each article is in exactly one of three colors...Each mannequin wears exactly one of the hats, one of the jackets, and one of the skirts." So for instance, mannequin 2 is wearing a navy skirt, so that can't be used again.

As for Q9: My set up looked like this;
    M1: R(hat), N(jacket), R(skirt), R(tie)
    M2: N(hat), Y(jakcet), N(skirt)-note it must be a Y jacket because the N jacket is taken.
    When they told us that M1 wears a navy jacket, we know that the only other color allowed to be used is red because you cant have three different colors. Knowing that the jacket and hat cannot be the same color, you must have a red hat and you must have a red skirt since the navy skirt is taken. So because the red hat is taken by M1, M2 cannot have a red hat and that is why C is wrong!

• BigJay20BigJay20 Member
    438 karma

Ugh! My hero. Thank you!