Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newer reading comp

So I used to be averaging around -2 to -4 on the older RC passages but for some reason with most of the 50+ ones I've been taking, I always get around -7 to -9. I've been trying to change my method and lengthen the time I read the passage (used to do 2 minutes, trying for 3.5 now). Is it better for me to continue working on adapting to this new method, or stick to my old one? Or are the new ones just a little different and need some more time to adjust to?

Also, I didn't have much luck finding tips on comparative passages on the discussion board (probably didn't look far enough), so if anyone knows a link to suggestions on these that would help immensely!

Thank you!

Comments

• PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    hey there, i experienced the same thing moving to the newer RCs; what worked best for me was getting really good at elimination. the readings/questions themselves didn't get more difficult imo but the answer choices contained more traps.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I think your scores are dropping due to the shift in focus/difficulty of the more recent tests. A simple way to determine if your method is not helpful is to do several new sections in the same range of tests and see if you score differently. Always taking this with a grain of salt, of course—different passages sit differently with different readers.
  • neethusreeneethusree Alum Member
    30 karma
    I have the same problem - on tests 40 to 60 or so, I scored -2 or -3 on reading comp. The answer choices on the newer exams (69+) are really tricky!