Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategies for Skipping LR Questions

Cayenne43Cayenne43 Alum Member
edited November 2015 in General 195 karma
Hi All-

I am having trouble skipping questions in LR. I recognize when I am spinning my wheels about half the time but the other half it is when I look up and I have spent three minutes or more on a question that I realize that I need to skip it. Any tips on how to skip questions and when to come back to them? How about when you skip questions, how do you mark it on your bubble sheet?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    For questions with arguments, I think the two biggest red flags are as follows:

Can't ID the conclusion: Skip it.
    Can't see the flaw/Think it's a good argument: Hold onto the conclusion for dear life, Read the ACs and if they don't speak to you, Skip it.

When skipping, circle the question number in the test booklet. On your bubble sheet just make a small dot with your pencil outside the boxes with the bubbles to the left of the number you are skipping. Pick an answer at random if you haven't narrowed anything down. That way you should have a few dots to go back to but don't have any questions left unanswered when you finish your first run through the questions.

I recommend only going back once you finish the section, though there are exceptions such as having a eureka moment as you turn the page or something like that. But generally just wait until you finish the section.
  • kmojorelikmojoreli Member
    118 karma
    I know how you feel. When you know you are spinning your wheels the hardest part is that it takes discipline to move on instead of thinking that just "30 more seconds and I'll have it", because you end up doing that 3 or 4 times. I've been working to try and be better about this. In terms of knowing when to skip, I read the stimulus once, if I don't understand it I will read a second time. If I still don't understand I'll skip. I circle in the book and then make a little dash to the left of the question # on the answer sheet and will go back once I've completed everything.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Can't ID the conclusion: Skip it.
    Can't see the flaw/Think it's a good argument: Hold onto the conclusion for dear life, Read the ACs and if they don't speak to you, Skip it.
    Yas

8021 karma
    I knew you would come through with that.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    My rule of thumb: If I see the words "Flaw" and "Parallel" in the same sentence, I avoid it like the plague...then come back to it and embrace it.
    8021 karma
    That's a terrible idea... You can't know if it's a hard PF or an easy PF unless you read it. You can't be scared of a wall of text. And you can't approach the test while scared of any question types because you will just end up leaving the low hanging fruit simply because you don't like PF, or NA, or whatever your weakness is.
  • pennwegopennwego Alum Member
    42 karma

where can I find jy skipping method

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@shwunkel said:
    where can I find jy skipping method

https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

He talks about it in this webinar.