Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension crushing my soul

rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
in General 149 karma
If anyone has any advice on how to better focus myself or tips on what to look for when approaching a reading passage please share! I'm finally in the 160 range after starting at a 142 and I'm still missing 10 to 12 on reading... It's KILLING my score! Any tips help!

Side Note: I've already read the LSAT trainer section on reading and I'm still not showing any improvement. I've also done the 7sage course and read Supreme Court decisions regularly.

Comments

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @rockytoral said:
    read Supreme Court decisions regularly.
    Reading is not enough! You must read with attention to argument/reasoning structure. You must strive to understand the nature of support and of inferences; what does it truly mean for something to be supported when it is unstated, etc.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    writing paragraph summaries helped me - it forced me to think critically.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    I have a pretty severe reading disability and went from missing 9-10 on RC per section down to 2-5 (still have work to do obviously). What I do is not only look at the micro-arguments within each paragraph, but I have tried to train my brain to start looking at each PARAGRAPH as it's own "argument part." So like I label the first paragraph "context" for example, the second "counterargument," and so on--making sure to underline or circle where I think the main point is. On top attempting to pay attention to the smaller details, I truly have seen improvements this way.
    4344 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    What I do is not only look at the micro-arguments within each paragraph, but I have tried to train my brain to start looking at each PARAGRAPH as it's own "argument part."
    I like this! Don't personally label this kind of stuff but always consider reasoning structure.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    Well, bc of my disability, I often have to take SEVERAL "extra steps" where others may be able to do them quickly in their heads. Kind of like when we were little kids and had to "show our work" in math class.
    4344 karma
    @BruiserWoods said:
    I often have to take SEVERAL "extra steps" where others may be able to do them quickly in their heads. Kind of like when we were little kids and had to "show our work" in math class.
    There you go! You gotta do what works for you!

Also I need to show my work for any maths at this point, believe me ...
  • cverdugocverdugo Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    I think an important thing to realize with RC is that results will not come right away but after much practice with the correct techniques and approach. Here's a basketball analogy for you; when teaching someone how to become a better shooter, makes and misses do not matter, it's all about having the correct form! Now remember this when trying to improve on RC. Do not worry about the misses: the -10 or 14, (on the same token don't worry about the makes: -5, -0) for now just make sure you're getting down the approach. What's a good approach? Read for the reasoning structure, find how each paragraph relates to each other within a passage, always ask yourself "Why the hell is the author telling me this information?" This may sound like a lot of things to do but after a month or two of practice this approach becomes instinct.

I got better at RC because I began treating it like LG. I would do a section timed and then do a full BR of that section untimed. Forcing myself to understand the reasoning structure in each paragraph before I moved to the next one. I am not saying write out full-length notes next to each paragraph rather write out a few key points that will let you internalize this approach. For example in a passage I would write next to Paragraph 1 something simple like 'introduce topic, hypothesis about topic,' next paragraph I would write something how it relates 'argument against topic,' or 'different hypothesis'. This in my opinion is where you will make the most gains. Because when it comes time to do a timed section this stuff becomes second-nature. Do not get discouraged, there is a lot of misinformation out there that RC can't be improved but it totally can be done! Good luck!
    4344 karma
    @cverdugo said:
    I got better at RC because I began treating it like LG.
    My hero!
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" haha, he is applying your mantra!
    4344 karma
    @cjones76 said:
    he is applying your mantra!
    Right??!
  • rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
    149 karma
    Thank you all for the helpful advice! We'll see how this goes...
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    If you haven't already, consult the webinar of @"Quick Silver" regarding RC. His focus on question types really drives home the need to approach these questions in the same regard as LR: with specific strategies to default to. It changed the way I look at RC in many respects.
  • sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    320 karma
    @cverdugo Good one. :)