Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Claim Vs. Assumption

Something I came across recently and found slightly confusing was the difference between a claim and an assumption. Can someone help me understand the difference between these two categorizations specifically as it relates to logical reasoning?

Comments

• AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
    236 karma
    An assumption is an unstated premise that is necessary to a claim.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    It might help to think about a claim as an act, namely the act of assertion.

If I claim that your cat is on the blue mat, I'm actively telling you, the audience, that the proposition 'your cat is on the blue mat' is true, and I'm deliberately trying to persuade you to believe it.

Assumptions are things that claims logically imply or are implied by. Take the former: Certain things must be true in order for my statement to be true, even if I don't assert them; e.g., you own at least one cat, and not all mats are not blue. The distinction of 'claim' as opposed to 'assumption' is roughly what's being explicitly asserted.

As a side note, remember assumptions might also be explicitly stated. In that case, though, they'll still lack an air of contention. If the contextual tone of the author suggests he/she isn't trying to persuade the audience, then the explicit statement in question is prob an assumption - context, background, reportage, whatever - and not a claim.

Best of luck to you
  • jaredj229jaredj229 Alum Member
    110 karma
    To clarify the above comment,on the LSAT assumptions will never be explicitly stated. Any premise, conclusion, or contextual information that is explicitly stated in the stimulus is a claim.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Oh yes, it seems quite right that the assumptions you're asked about won't be stated. Thanks @jaredj229
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @jaredj229 said:
    on the LSAT assumptions will never be explicitly stated
    ....by definition....
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    I would differ with you about that, but it would be a petty difference.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @"◊ Q.E.D. ◊" said:
    I would differ with you
    And perhaps others...
    "WHAT ARE ASSUMPTIONS?
    Simply put, they are premises that the author has left out of the argument. That is all assumptions are, period." - JY Ping
    http://7sage.com/lesson/assumptions/
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    I think "left out of the argument" I can agree with on some level. I still think an assumption can be stated in the discussion though, since the key to assumption-hood for a proposition is how it's viewed. Of courses, what matters for the LSAT is a stipulative definition that serves your needs. For that purpose, I have no disagreement at all.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member
    266 karma
    No reason to make the LSAT more complicated than it already is. Q.E.D- if being a lawyer doesn't work out, you would make a great LSAT question writer.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Trolling test-takers for a living sounds fun. I do over-complicate things, though, as some ppl here would agree. But I realize I'm an insignificant windbag. Admitting it makes it all okay, obviously.