Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Addendum

mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
in General 368 karma
I took LSAT three times. Sep 2014, did not have the time to study, 161. Oct 2015, did not sleep the night before (stress and fell sick), 164. Dec 2015, 169. Before the test, my PT scores were 170+ but never broke 175. For Dec test, I sat in the front row and the two proctors were whispering to each other on and on. At some point, I had to stop them. I did not finish RC (-5). I wonder if I should mention this Dec testing experience in my LSAT addendum? I do not want to appear to be looking for excuses for my score (even though I am still upset about it and wish i could have finished that RC!). I think I need an addendum for three takes anyway, so should I explain Dec score? But then I worry that when Adcom look at my previous two takes - they were bad too. What do people think?

Thank you so much for your advice.

p.s. I am a non traditional applicant (out of school for 10+ years). 3.86 GPA (physics and econ double major). I am applying to Yale, Columbia, NYU and a safety school.

Comments

• cverdugocverdugo Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    I think if you had a previous LSAT score on record in the 170s then maybe I would mention it (although I don't think it would matter). But like you said you have two other scores on file that are well below that so from their point of view it would be really hard to for lack of a better tem, prove, that 170+ is your true ability. UNLESS you made an official complaint after your test to LSAC and there is some kind of written record where you can prove that you were disturbed by the whispers, I don't think you should mention it.

I don't even think you need to write an addendum for your three takes. I think your score increase speaks for itself. You are a non-traditional applicant out of school for 10 years and you increased you score by 8 points (presumably while working, or dealing with other life stresses that someone fresh outta college doesn't have to deal with)! I think the Adcom will read between the lines no need to expalin, you are in a good position! Good luck with your apps!
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    edited January 2016 368 karma
    @cverdugo Thank you so much for your input. You've made excellent points. Yes, I was going through a stressful lawsuit which was finally settled in Oct 2015. So you don't think I need to mention it in the addendum? Thanks again!

I did not make an official complaint to LSAC, because the proctor apologized to me profusely afterwards.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    @mimimimi said:
    Yes, I was going through a stressful lawsuit which was finally settled in Oct 2015. So you don't think I need to mention it in the addendum? Thanks again!
    I think you should mention the test center disturbances within the bigger framework of the strenuous law suit. As in you were already distracted and under pressure, and then the whispering effected it further. But otherwise, your score isn't bad enough that they'd like to see an addenda. The deans usually say that if its a minor issue on your application then writing an addenda hurts you more than helps you.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Based on the information you provided you should not be writing any addenda on these topics. You had a normal score progression and complaining about the test center without having formally complained to LSAC is not going to make you look better.

Yale is a long shot with three takes and being below 25th (LSAT) and at 25th (GPA), but you could be in the mix at Columbia and more likely NYU. The only thing I'd do if I were you is apply to a few more schools in the T14 even if you have no intention of going there. And you should be able to get some merit fee waivers from CCN on down.
    @Pacifico Thank you! I won't be attending those other t14 schools so I am not planning to apply. This is not due to arrogance but my family situation (I have a preschooler at home so I want to attend a school close by). I was on a full merit scholarship in undergrad (little three) and received multiple awards from different departments (math, econ, physics) in college. I raised money, started my own business and fought a lawsuit. I am serving on board of our local organizations and I write a column for our local newspaper... (now you might guess my interest of practice). I hope that these softs could boost my chance, but then everyone here has a great background and I'd be very happy if I could get into NYU:)

Thank you for the tips on fee waiver. I did not get any fee waiver email from CCN though I did get a few from other T14. Should I contact them directly?

My college prof encouraged me to apply to Yale. I know my chance of getting in is very slim but hey it's Yale! Haha just wanted to give it a try.
    I think I have heard something along these lines too but I forgot. Thank you so much for bringing this up. I won't even bother with a LSAT addendum now.

This community is awesome!
    @lsatings said:
    The deans usually say that if its a minor issue on your application then writing an addenda hurts you more than helps you.