Back by Popular Demand: The Old-Timer's Thread (30+ only, valid form of ID required)

124»

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Turning 30 next spring, and in at dream school! Trying to be patient waiting for other schools and merit aid decisions.

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

31 years old and will very soon be a father. Finishing up my applications this month to being law school in fall of 2020. Any other parents up in here?

• J. CallowJ. Callow Alum Member
    edited October 2019 4 karma

29 (will be 30 by next fall), Father of four, and a teacher. Hopeful to start fall 2020

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Thanks for bumping this thread. I was actually talking to a law school rep at a forum today about crafting a diversity statement based on age and experience. Some schools may laugh that out of the room, but she said they'd welcome it.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

37 this month. Parent. In at 2 schools (one with a full ride) and 4 more apps pending. It's no longer a matter of IF I'll go Fall 2020, but Where.

• ALEXAN.SALEXAN.S Alum Member
    108 karma

34 next week, one masters (architecture), one dog, no kids. I have crazy respect for those applying as parents! My mom went to med school in her 40s and is still going strong 20 years later.
    My partner is currently a 2L and turns 30 in December. Granted that she had just transferred into a t14 and is closer to the median age, she absolutely killed it during OCI. Having real work/real world experience and understanding things such as how to write a professional email, manage clients, dress for an interview (I heard horror stories), etc. was a huge benefit.
    An attorney I spoke to earlier this year, when I was deciding whether to pursue law, shared a similar sentiment. He said age was not really an issue, and laughed at the notion that firms would be attracted to younger students that could work longer hours ("besides, if that were the case, would you really want to work there?") He was also more interested in someone who could work in a professional capacity than a star student, within reason (i.e., not at the bottom of your class).
    Another thing to point out, or at least what I tell myself, is that if you're 30+ and take the time to study for the LSAT and apply to law school, YOU REALLY WANT TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL. Compared to a younger person who is just trying to "figure it out," you're much less of a liability.

• SharpieHighlighterSharpieHighlighter Alum Member
    edited October 2019 132 karma

31 year old here. I work for a law firm who are generous enough to put up tuition for me, I would be a fool to not take the opportunity! Never thought of myself as an old timer, I prefer to think I'm just very wise.

• legal.eaglelegal.eagle Core Member
    87 karma

@SharpieHighlighter said:
    31 year old here. I work for a law firm who are generous enough to put up tuition for me, I would be a fool to not take the opportunity! Never thought of myself as an old timer, I prefer to think I'm just very wise.

Wow!!! Congrats! That is a dream scenario. I'm 32 and work at a law firm as a paralegal. I absolutely love my job but I'm excited to continue along this career path. The law firm I work for is definitely not offering anything other than kudos and letters of recommendation (which I still greatly appreciate), so good on you not taking such a great opportunity for granted :) Taking the LSAT in January and hoping to get in somewhere fall 2020, but plan to reapply the following cycle if needed.

• edited October 2019 242 karma

Hi. I am 35. I am currently in a masters of social work program. I took the LSAT 10 years ago and didnt go because I score low. I didnt have much support or guidance, so I came at the test and admissions process very unprepared. Well I started dating a lawyer from a family of lawyers and now here I am. Taking the test in November. I decided last minute and I am also doing graduate work so I am really cramming. I have a 3.66 GPA which I am hoping will aid me in admissions. I think this time will be a little easier. I am more mature and financially stable enough to make the move.

Happy to be here. No matter what happens I like that I am challenging myself.

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma

37 in December. Looking to be finished with JD by the time I'm 45. Will be going part time while continuing to work. It leaves me 20 years to work. Ultimate goal...be debt free by the time I'm out....

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

I am an oldster but I think I am going to hold off this cycle to see if I can get my book finished.

• SharpieHighlighterSharpieHighlighter Alum Member
    132 karma

@"legal.eagle" said:

Wow!!! Congrats! That is a dream scenario. I'm 32 and work at a law firm as a paralegal. I absolutely love my job but I'm excited to continue along this career path. The law firm I work for is definitely not offering anything other than kudos and letters of recommendation (which I still greatly appreciate), so good on you not taking such a great opportunity for granted :) Taking the LSAT in January and hoping to get in somewhere fall 2020, but plan to reapply the following cycle if needed.

Thank you! I'm scheduled to take the LSAT in November, and plan to retake in January if my score is too low. Good luck with your studies and application!

• axjxmarvelaxjxmarvel Alum Member
    158 karma

Will be 30 in February. Mom to a 2 year old. Applying this cycle, but unfortunately missed the mark on the September LSAT and need to take for the third time in November. First time was 2017, a few months after my son was born. Took my diagnostic on my due date, and had to pump in the break between sections on test day. Because if you’re not insane, do you even belong in law school?

Anyways, happy to find a thread with my people. And happy to almost be done with the LSAT and apps.

• _aisling__aisling_ Alum Member
    edited October 2019 289 karma

@axjxmarvel said:
    Applying this cycle, but unfortunately missed the mark on the September LSAT and need to take for the third time in November.

Me, too! I scored well enough that I'm not worried about not getting into the schools I'm targeting, but I'm hoping to get closer to my PT average in November for scholarship purposes because that's a big thing for me. I'll be 33 before the year is out.