PT7.S1.Q17 - office manager: i will not order recycled

The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
edited March 2016 in Logical Reasoning 1392 karma
The correct answer here made zero sense to me.

In answer B, he says she says "Hey, recycled paper isn't necessarily lower quality. In fact, the best paper was made was made from recycled materials..."

How is that irrelevant?

Frankly, all the answer choices seemed a bit zany in this one.

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'm imagining being in the shoes of the office manager, and the stationery supplier is trying to push their recycled paper on me. I don't want it because I don't think it's good enough for our business. Instead of telling me that THEIR recycled paper has the same brightness, acid resistance, weight, gloss, resistance to bleedthrough and so on as the best non-recycled paper on the market, he states "recycled paper is not necessarily of worse quality (based on I said so)" and then waxes poetic about how they made paper from rags in the 1800's and it was mighty fine and how "from the beginning" the finest paper was made from recycled material. So? The finest paper in 1800's could still be crappy by today's standards. Besides, I bet the technology to make paper from wood has evolved some since then, and maybe the best wood-made paper has long surpassed the "finest" standards of the 1800's.
    Sorry pal, but you're not telling me anything that makes me want to buy YOUR contemporary recycled paper!
    The other answers are very out there, with maybe the exception of E, which could be eliminated because he does recognize the manager's concern for quality, but doesn't address it with facts that are relevant to the manager's concern about quality differences between today's recycled and wood made paper.

I'm going to try an analogous argument:
    Me: I don't want to buy a German car because I don't think they are as reliable as Japanese ones and I need a car that lasts 15 years.
    VW dealer: But German cars are not necessarily worse. [My support for this opinion is that] From the 1800 the Germans were known to make the finest engines in the world, and the Japanese only started making them when the German manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand.
    Me: So? It's easy to be the best when you're the only one. Maybe the Japanese are very fast learners and while you guys were resting on your laurels they quickly surpassed you. I need some hard proof that your VW is going to last as long as a Toyota, or I'm out of here.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    AHHHH!

OKay. That makes a bunch more sense.

Thank you!